real time web analytics
Report - - The Cube - Birmingham - Dec 2009 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Cube - Birmingham - Dec 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

God

Bloody Everywhere
28DL Full Member
Visited with Bubblehead

The Cube - Birmingham

This site has been under our watchful eyes for just under a year and last month we saw our way in. Then it was a case of waiting for the moon and planets to align for the perfect opportunity. Adders took the opportunity a few weeks back and then the weather turned and we were on hold yet again.

Finally getting the mystical moment we made our move, with security very present, a breath holding moment or two, and our best laid plans altered we were in...

From Wiki....

The Cube is a 23 storey tower, under construction, in Birmingham, England. Designed by Ken Shuttleworth of MAKE Architects, the mixed use development will contain 135 flats, 111,500 ft² (10,360 m²) of offices, shops, a hotel and a 'skyline' restaurant. It is the final phase of The Mailbox development by the Birmingham Development Company (BDC).

The building's name come from its cubic dimensions. However, the building is more than a cuboid, as it floats on a glass first floor with the atrium twisting up through the centre. The building is topped with a two story angular crown which will house the hotel and restaurant. Inside, an open courtyard will contain shops which will act as a hub as people pass through from surrounding streets and the canal at Gas Street Basin. The outside will be clad in a golden anodised aluminium framework with windows cleverly placed for the best views and sunlight, but giving an impression of randomness like a game of Tetris.

Birmingham-born Ken Shuttleworth, who designed London's Gherkin building with Norman Foster, has stated that the design evokes the city's industrial heritage.

I have to say, I hate this building, the design is terrible. Looking round confirmed my belief of it being shit. Why you'd want to live here is beyond me!

My screen needs calibrating so the photos seem slightly off colour :mad:

Photos

IMG_0007-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0015-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0019-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0021-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0022-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0023-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0026-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0028-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0029-BorderMedium.jpg

IMG_0031-BorderMedium.jpg