Web
Analytics
Report - - The Dominion Cinema - Walthamstow - July 2009 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - The Dominion Cinema - Walthamstow - July 2009

Speed

Got Epic?
Staff member
Moderator
#1
This place was easily the worst cinema explore of 2009, it really was not much more than a shell! The stage end was more intact but the entrance end had been virtualy demolished, the small circle had gone and it was full of junk. Still, good to see whats left!. :gay

On this site was an earlier cinema - Prince's Pavilion which opened in 1909 and was rebuilt to seat 1,000 in 1912, it closed 24th May 1930 and was demolished (one wall survives today, located at the rear of the Dominion, with faded paint still showing from the former interior of the Prince's Pavilion).

The Dominion Cinema was opened on 22nd December 1930 with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in "Little Accident". It was designed by Frederick E. Bromige while he was working for the Clifford Aish practice. The Dominion Cinema was Bromige's first solo work as an architect and his final project under Aish.

Seating was provided in a stadium plan with a raised section at the rear which didn't overhang the rear stalls area. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/10Ranks organ.

It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) in April 1931 and they operated it until 15th March 1958 when it closed for film use. It became a venue for wrestling for a few months and then re-opened as a cinema again on 6th October 1958 screening Danny Kaye in "Merry Andrew". It finally closed as a cinema on 4th March 1961 screening Claude Dauphin in "The Full Treatment" and Peter Reynolds in "The Breaking Point".

It was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club, latterly operated by Jasmine which was closed in August 1996.

Plans were going ahead to convert it into a nightclub, but these fell through and the building remains boarded up and unused in 2010.
How it used to be! :http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/sets/72157603884110863/

Picture276mod.jpg


Picture283mod.jpg
Picture267mod.jpg


Picture272mod.jpg


Picture281mod.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads