real time web analytics
Report - - The Duke Of Lancaster, Mostyn - June 2011. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Duke Of Lancaster, Mostyn - June 2011.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

The Duke Of Lancaster

1.jpg

I remember seeing the ship a number of years back and wondering what it would be like inside, I'd never given it a second thought since, until about 18 months ago when Stepping Lightly showed me his pics

WOW, I need to see this, but alas after hearing various tales including a close encounter from SL himself I was beginning to doubt if I would ever get onboard this fine vessel :(

I would rather go fishing with Captain Ahab than put a foot on that ship again​

Now that said it all really :D

Not to be put off, soon after we went for a closer look, this clearly wasn't going to be easy, I needed a plan

My recent injury had thwarted any attempt at this, so once I was back on it I decided to have one last crack

Visited with a mate recently, I've waited an age to see this for myself, Hats off & biggup to anyone else who has made it :thumb

Built at Harland & Wolff, Belfast and completed in 1956, she was designed to operate as both a passenger ferry (primarily on the Heysham-Belfast route) and as a cruise ship. In this capacity, the Lancaster travelled to the Scottish islands and further afield to Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway and Spain

The ship weighs 4450 tonnes and is 376ft in length, with a top speed of 21 knots

Service was withdrawn on 5 April 1975. The Duke of Lancaster was then briefly employed on the Fishguard-Rosslare crossing, before becoming the regular relief vessel on the Holyhead–Dún Laoghaire service until November 1978. The ship was then laid up at Barrow in Furness, Cumbria

She arrived at her new home at Llanerch-y-Mor, near Mostyn, on 10 August 1979. The ship was beached and the hull was sealed

It has since been known as the 'Mostyn Fun Ship' operating as a leisure complex until closing in the 1980's

It's future is somewhat sketchy and cannot operate as a leisure facility on health & safety grounds - who put that low bridge there :rolleyes:

The Duke continues to cause controversy...

Up Close

2.jpg

3.jpg

Keep Out?

4.jpg

All Aboard

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg