Web
Analytics
Report - - The Embassy Cinema, Seacombe, Wirral, April 2010 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Embassy Cinema, Seacombe, Wirral, April 2010



Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
This building has had a varied life. Opened December 1889 as the Irving Theatre. Subsequent owners kept re-modelling and upgrading, in attempts to keep it as a viable theatre, but in 1936 it became a full time cinema. Over this period, it was called the Kings/La Scala/Hippodrome, and finally Embassy.
Cinemascope was installed in 1955, but it closed due to declining patronage, four years later. To date it has been used for bingo downstairs, but a nightclub in the balcony failed to last and the whole upper portion is now disused. Fragments remain, including the sound indicator in the otherwise stripped projection room and the fly tower.

c978.jpg


c957.jpg


c958.jpg


c959.jpg


c961.jpg


c962.jpg


c963.jpg


c964.jpg


c965.jpg


c970.jpg


c967.jpg


c975.jpg

The disused nightclub