real time web analytics
Report - - The Empire Cinema, Neath, May 2012 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Empire Cinema, Neath, May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with Dweeb and Speed

Some history from cimematreasures.org ...

A prominent building on one of the towns main streets. The Empire Cinema opened in October 1926. Initially it had a programme policy of films and variety, although the stage was not large, it had a 25feet wide proscenium opening. The cinema also had a cafe and a dance hall attached.

In late October 1931 a Christie 2Manual/6Ranks theatre organ was installed and the console was on a lift. It was opened by organist Jack (Coutney) Taylor. In the summer of 1936 the building underwent some re-furbishment and it was closed until November of that year. After the end of the war it was taken over and operated by South Wales Cinemas Ltd. of Swansea (Jackson Withers circuit).

In the early 1960’s it was converted into a bingo club, a use that continues today as the independently operated Empire Bingo Club.

Note: It's completely closed now. I read that there's scaffolding all around it in preparation for demolition, to make way for flats.

DSC_4189_ShiftN.jpg

Access was easy although we had to search for it.

However, on the inside it had been converted quite dramatically, with very few original fittings left. Unfortunately I missed the projection room, although to be fair it did look like a fetid hole. Also, I didn't notice any indication of the organ, although I never knew there was one to look for at the time.

In the main cinema, looking forwards...

DSC_4174_ShiftN.jpg

and to the rear...

DSC_4175_ShiftN.jpg

The stage / screen area, showing the unusual 'Empire' detailing...

DSC_4177_ShiftN.jpg

Random view...

DSC_4178_ShiftN.jpg

Alongside this was the snooker hall...

DSC_4180_ShiftN.jpg

DSC_4181_ShiftN.jpg

...which was interesting for it's world-renowned collection of 'Large Knifes and Shoplifting Paraphernalia of South Wales '