real time web analytics
Report - - The End of The Line: Edge Hill Engine Station, Crown Street and Wapping Tunnels (Liverpool, Sept, 2020) | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The End of The Line: Edge Hill Engine Station, Crown Street and Wapping Tunnels (Liverpool, Sept, 2020)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a fantastic report. Loving the old photos & sketches. Lovely lite tunnels, looks a lovely mooch around. Plenty to see. Very comprehensive, spot on, :thumb

Vic2

28DL Member
28DL Member
Looking at the street map the line down must open up at a skew on Kings Dock Street. Is that obvious when in the tunnel? (If it was at a right angle to the street it looks like it would end up under Lime Street.)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looking at the street map the line down must open up at a skew on Kings Dock Street. Is that obvious when in the tunnel? (If it was at a right angle to the street it looks like it would end up under Lime Street.)
The line split into three in the cutting with rubbish in it, apparently called 'the crow's foot'.

Yes, the middle line - the only one open at the moment - is not quite square on to the end of what is now King's Dock Street, although I don't remember this being particularly pronounced.

The comparison of an old map (1891) and the current aerial view below makes this more obvious.

50387219011_fa17f54185_b.jpg

synchronoscope

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report as ever! One questdion tho. The pics in the steam pipe tunnel seem to suggest a vertical shaft or well going down with a dodgy bit of timber running accross? What is it and how deep?! Did you cross it?!

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report as ever! One questdion tho. The pics in the steam pipe tunnel seem to suggest a vertical shaft or well going down with a dodgy bit of timber running accross? What is it and how deep?! Did you cross it?!
From memory the shaft isn't deep maybe 10 ft or so. And I don't think I went over that plank because it looked blocked beyond.
This tunnel eventually lead to one of the chimneys so the shafts may have been for boilers in rooms below.

Who has read this thread (Total: 455) View details