real time web analytics
Report - - The Ferrybridge Pub, Portland, Dorset - February 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Ferrybridge Pub, Portland, Dorset - February 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
This pub is a prominent landmark at the beginning of the causeway that links mainland Weymouth to the island of Portland. It closed in August 2015, which is a shame as a quick look on TripAdvisor tells me that the reviews weren't too bad. Anyways the landowners closed the pub as the building was in poor condition and they want to redevelop the land. A local petition that attracted 650 signatures and 100 written letters of objection were not enough to save the pub.

Visited with @Kirkymole

From the local rag the future seems to be this:
Site owners Ferrybridge Developments LLP is trying again to build on the site after a plan was thrown out by the borough council two years ago amid concerns about design and size. It was subsequently dismissed at appeal. Morgan Carey Architects have been appointed and taken a ‘lighter touch’ approach to design which is more sympathetic and addresses previous concerns.

Two outline applications have been submitted – one proposing 22 flats and houses and a larger scheme of 29 residential units together with a pub/restaurant.

Stewart Drummond of Ferrybridge Developments LLP said: “The fabric of the existing building is in very poor condition. Despite our and our tenants’ best efforts, it is not economically viable to maintain the property... Nevertheless, for many years now, redevelopment has been the only way forward. Our preference is to reinstate a pub/restaurant on the site if this is acceptable to the council.”

The pub stand prominently on the Weymouth to Portland causeway
02_zpslcp6f207.jpg

The bar with a low timber framed ceiling
03_zpsdi5sjzst.jpg

04_zps0awmhgvb.jpg

And this is where the fun begins. On the timbers are "hilarious" jokes. Let's begin:

As I said before - I never repeat myself!
06_zpskn34ae5d.jpg

Where do suicide bombers go to die - Everywhere!!!
07_zpsgc14g11j.jpg

My IQ is 122 - I'm so bright I get sunburn!
08_zpsrenk1q6p.jpg

I don't need Google - I have a wife!!
09_zpshuajuare.jpg

Anyways enough "hilarity" lets tour around...
10_zpsbxtuqkvz.jpg

11_zpsnd5nfzqq.jpg

Upstairs to the living quarters and guest rooms
18_zpszb4cvurg.jpg

21_zpsirmetfad.jpg

25_zpsg3awyzo3.jpg

26_zpspzs52asd.jpg

Finally to the cellar and a shamefully staged photo of whatever they call those plastic things they clip onto the pumps
29_zpsdp5rhy86.jpg

30_zpssd6rgyjo.jpg

Thanks for reading and apologies for the jokes.

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Well that certainly kicks the crap outta that horrible pub we ended up exploring sometime last year!

GK_WAX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the report, shame about the place, bet it was a cosey pub back in its heyday. Good to see a derp pubs still making hits