real time web analytics
Report - - The George Hotel, Huddersfield - November 2012 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The George Hotel, Huddersfield - November 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
The George Hotel, Huddersfield - November 2012

Visited this one my lonesome as Fudge had to get home for some sleep. Being a poor man, I decided to wait until first bus, rather than pay for a taxi home, and I spent the time having a gander at some other bits and bobs I'd been putting off.

History

St George's Square was designed and laid out during the 1850's as an architectural vista to show off the impressive station, and every building around the Square is listed.

The George Hotel, situated in St. George's Square, is a Grade II listed building and is most famous for being the birthplace of rugby league football.

The George Hotel, which has an Italian façade, was designed by William Wallen and Charles Child. The Victorian era hotel was built around 1850 to replace the Old George Inn which was demolished to make way for John William Street to be built.

It was in the George Hotel on August 29, 1895 that 21 northern clubs held a meeting and by a majority of 20 to 1 voted to secede from the Rugby Football Union to set up their own Northern Rugby Football Union. In 1922 this became the Rugby Football League.

Memorabilia recalling the meeting can be found throughout the hotel as well as in the Heritage Centre - a museum for the sport and the Huddersfield Giants.

CNV00041.jpg

CNV00028-002.jpg

CNV00040-001.jpg

CNV00032-001.jpg
CNV00033.jpg

CNV00038.jpg

CNV00037-001.jpg

CNV00030.jpg

CNV00029.jpg

tweek
:Not Worthy