real time web analytics
Report - - The Gothic Works Jewellers / Marmoset Nightclub Birmingham, | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Gothic Works Jewellers / Marmoset Nightclub Birmingham,

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As I'm sure many of you are aware Birmingham was the hub of the Jewellery trade in Britain for many years. Most of the city's factories were in what is now known as the "Jewellery Quarter" which is an area peppered with small independent workshops making everything from watch cases to earrings, trophies and fine tableware.

I've struggled to find out much about the buildings early history. Most of the buildings around this area of Birmingham were built in the 1860's, and were designed to have a shop at ground level with workshops above. This building seems to have been laid out in such a fashion. Particularly lavish for a workshop, the building boasts some very nice plasterwork and carpentry on it's staircases. Originally my best guess is most of the upstairs was workshops, with a trade counter at the top floor, served by a hatch in a door. Here original racking and safes can still be seen, along with a dispenser for wrapping paper.

In about 1963 the first floor was occupied by the 'marmoset nightclub', which was an executive club for "the discerning". The ripped up photos of scantily clad dolly birds may add an insight as to the kind of club the marmoset was. My guess is it closed some time in the late 60's and other than the shop below being used as a cafe and a couple of floors above being used as offices the greater part of the building has been disused ever since.

The floor above, which was the original office to the jewellers had been used as the clubs office. This whole floor had been plaster boarded off some time in the early 70's and only a tiny hole allowed access... the whole place was a time capsule, kind of like if you dropped an imperial tonne of pigeon crap on the black country museum.

DSC_0351_zps4be8afcd.jpg

DSC_0223_zps5dd6b8bc.jpg
DSC_0229_zps7644ffe0.jpg

DSC_0225_zpsf57ea2fe.jpg

DSC_0228_zps4fa7bf29.jpg

DSC_0231_zps8f56e71f.jpg
DSC_0237_zpsa16c35cb.jpg

DSC_0232_zps68f961a8.jpg

DSC_0234_zpsd2e83d90.jpg

This must be 1930's if not older
DSC_0236_zps48211795.jpg

DSC_0240_zps83593be0.jpg

I'd suggest that chimney will be on the deck pretty soon!
DSC_0263_zps30128d2e.jpg
DSC_0267_zps231872ec.jpg

The club's bar
DSC_02322_zps1b6244dd.jpg
DSC_02622_zpsb92d37ee.jpg

DSC_02362_zps64b1b11f.jpg

DSC_02382_zpsa050f9d9.jpg

Flypress, minus it's handle
DSC_02402_zps4718d729.jpg

DSC_0241_zps0dea30fc.jpg

DSC_02422_zps6b07fd34.jpg

DSC_0243_zps71f9dff8.jpg

DSC_02462_zpsa1e73200.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsc1c52eab.jpg

DSC_02652_zps47a8e84d.jpg
DSC_0268_zpsd148f0c9.jpg

DSC_0283_zps6d91ede0.jpg

The cellar still had this range in situ
DSC_0285_zps2d593099.jpg

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Blimey that's old. I Can almost taste the pigeon crap. Proper vintage. Thanks for bringing it to the table.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb

I remember driving @ this area after some epic local fails, it reminded me of parts of Sheffield.... totally Derp ie the Silversmiths area that"s still active today in Derps :)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Its a good job we have both been the the Jewelry Q museum or id probably not have recognized it as a Jewlers..

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Some really good finds there. Love the newspaper and calender.
Thats some legendary bird shit tho.

LS

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Wow that's proper old, my dad worked for Brolac (and then Berger) for many many years.. still got a few old tins in the shed! Probably lead based paint, the good stuff!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely stuff i just love mooching and rummaging through these places you never know what will turn up great work there thanks for posting.

Coxieboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Esso Blue parrafin, remember having a heater with that in 1971!! Cracking find. .

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Superb photos.

The ripped up photos of scantily clad dolly birds may add an insight as to the kind of club the marmoset was.

I kept one of those gala night programmes and it says there was a 2 guinea donation to a charity for 'mentally handicapped children'. Must have been one pricey strip club!

bubblehead

you lost the game
28DL Full Member
I cannot have been in the exploring mood when we went a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed with the place and never bothered to get my camera out. Your pics make me want to go back and have a fresh look at it. I think the only part i really liked was the 60's bedroom in the loft.

Pinkman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is great, I love all the period features in this place.......but that pigeon shit is something else!

Who has read this thread (Total: 230) View details