real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - The Grand Room, Palace Hotel Manchester - Nov 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) The Grand Room, Palace Hotel Manchester - Nov 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Guido

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi folks,

First report(ish) for me. I was working an event in the Palace Hotel Manchester, formerly the Refuge Assurance building and I did a little snooping in my break to take some pictures of rooms and places which don't get seen buy guests.

I've posted pictures and a link to the Wikipedia page, if that's not enough I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with more history.
The only info I know other than what's on Wikipedia is apparently when the hotel chain took this building over, they didn't know the Grand Room existed. Legend has it that they were renovating and a builder knocked down part of a wall and discovered this cavernous room, untouched since the early 1900's.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refuge_Assurance_Building

The stage in the Grand Room

IMAG0157.jpg

A few pics of above the stage on the gantry, the original rheostat lighting system lies destroyed

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Early flying system

IMAG0277.jpg

The safe room. These are the original wooden clad safes the Refuge Assurance company used.

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

Level 2 corridor, the ceramic tile throughout this building is beautiful.

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

Level 2 stairs, I think these are the 'haunted' ones

IMAG0254.jpg

These next few are of the directors suite, it's a conference room so won't be open to the public. It's wooden clad and the fireplaces are wonderful. First pic is of a window lock, still works, made from brass as far as I can see. These are original and all over the hotel.

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

Apologies for potato quality, they were taken on my phone. Next post will be better.

Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

Gone

Regular User
Re: The Grand Room, Palace Hotel Manchester, Nov 2014

nice flicks, get up the tower!

Guido

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Yeah, that's on my to-do list. I didn't have time on this visit.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Sweet,really nice place,good report:)

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member

That's special, love the tiling as well :)

eyelash911

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

love the tiling and the woodwork. the original brass window fittings are great too. u dont see many of those around these days!

Wolfsong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Love the old lighting rig! I was there for a conference a couple of years ago, I remember a few corridors up higher with original decor that were closed off for renovation. Would be great to see up top :thumb

gap74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice - I was at a union conference in that room about three years ago, my bedroom was huuuuge! Had a fireplace, a disused lift and fantastic views over Oxford Rd Station.

Guido

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

:)
I do love the abandoned stuff, but there's still something special about seeing a building in use and being a part of its history.

Skudge

The One & Only.
28DL Full Member
Very nice, I've wondered around this building many a time and had a look and bin right up to the very top of the clocktower, but never seen this room before. Like you said beautiful building, if you're gonna try the clock-tower make sure no one is around. Bin busted a few times going up :brew. Also last time I checked it was locked but as you know things can change overnight.