real time web analytics
Report - - The Great Doven Console Mines - Cornwall - Jul 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Great Doven Console Mines - Cornwall - Jul 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

marmiteminer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a post i tried doing sometime ago and only just had the internet back. Yes deep dark Cornwall hits again!! So i will start this post again.

The Great Devon console Includes the mines of Wheal Maria, Wheal Fanny, Wheal Anna Maria, Wheal Josiah, Wheal Emma, which lie from west to east along the main lode and were the principal sources of firstly copper then arsenic in the latter days.

When wheal Fanny was started in 1845 the lode was cut only 3 fathoms below the surface.
In March of 1856 with the lode being worked on its full length from Wh Maria to Wheal Emma 3389 tons of ore were sampled, an all time record for Cornwall. The 1856 year total was 28,836 tons. The only limiting factor on output was transport and storage to the quays at Morwellham.

By 1860 the lode at Anna Maria was up to 45 feet wide and yielding up to 80 tons per fathom.

By 1870 refined arsenic was also being produced from arsenopyrite deposits up to 6 feet thick which lined the copper lode and had previously been left in place as having no value. The mine produced over half the British output and only limited output to avoid depressing the world market price.

By 1880 the copper boom was over. Arsenic production sustained the mine for another 20 years until the original compsny folded in 1901.
The overall output from 1844 to 1902 had been 736,229 tons copper ore sold for £3,473,046 and 72,279 tons refinec arsenic for £625,062.
As a means of estimating current worth, miners wages were then 'a few shillings a week'. So even if you multiply the above figures by 100x you still probably have a very low estimate of the value today.

Time for a few pics.

A lot of gear was used in this day outing, even the good old SDS drill.

001.jpg

First drop we had to use the cave ladder.

002.jpg

Brake out the ropes!! Using the Sds to make some new anchors, a lot better idea than the old ones.

003.jpg

Hagging from the roof. Think i smell a bit of poo??!

004.jpg

Looking up from the bottom of the first drop.

005.jpg

Things didnt look to good at first :eek:(
006.jpg

008.jpg

Me on the way down :eek:) Action Man. lol

010.jpg

Things are falling apart well.

012.jpg

A few pictures of the rock flumes.
013.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

Another drop, 4 of 4 in total. As i said, a lot of kit needed.

017.jpg

looking at the levels above.
018.jpg

019.jpg

Moving a long the upper levels.
020.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

Found something!! Some Chav or jippo nicked the wheel tho.

All in all, good mine. But starting to falling apart a little to much now.

Thanks foe looking. Some more on the way very soon. PROMISE.

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic incite in what looks to be a fairly un-disturbed mine.

Mind you I did note whilst walking a long on of the tunnels it was actually only a timber platform as there was a large hole to one side with more than likely with an ever bigger drop.

Love to see you guys go back and deeper!

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic incite in what looks to be a fairly un-disturbed mine.

Mind you I did note whilst walking a long on of the tunnels it was actually only a timber platform as there was a large hole to one side with more than likely with an ever bigger drop.

Love to see you guys go back and deeper!
you should be extremely cautious of any timbered floors in metal mines, wood tends to have a short decay time in underground places.