real time web analytics
Report - - The head-stocks of "Le Pêchon", Charleroi, Belgium, November 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The head-stocks of "Le Pêchon", Charleroi, Belgium, November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
1. The History
Located on the borders of Marcinelle and Couillet, near Charleroi, "Le Pêchon" was the name given to Mine No.25 of coal mining company of Marcinelle Nord. It was opened in 1910 and then, 20 years later, absorbed by Monceau-Fontaine, the largest mining company in the Charleroi basin. Many of the mine’s galleries were swampy (hence the name) and infamous for their dangerous nature, especially for the firedamp they concealed. The mine went to a depth of 1,115 meters, passing under the neighbouring Cazier mine. Its galleries crawled for more than four kilometres underground and was one of the first seams to use electric extraction machines.

On June 17th, 1952 a very rare accident occurred. In a gallery located at a depth of 790m connecting Pêchon to the mine of Festiaux (no.24), a locomotive broke down. A call was made to the surface and soon, 6 men were found around the loco. A violent explosion followed. Rescuers arrived in the gallery to discover the extent of the damage: 4 dead, 6 missing and 2 survivors. Investigations carried out afterwards concluded the explosion was due to ignition of the firedamp, most likely lit during the attempts of revivals of the locomotive.

Life was hard in the mine as shown by this archive film footage of the mine:

49235404792_e8a0820c9f_b.jpg

Just over 20 years later, in November, 1972, six miners lost their lives, buried under the coal, again due to a mine gas explosion. An instantaneous release of firedamp caused the death of six miners in front of a gallery, located in vein A42, 800 meters underground. It gave Pêchon the dubious honour of being the last mine in Wallonia where a major disaster occurred. It spelled the beginning of the end for the mine which finally closed less than three years later in March 31st, 1975.

The site has been completely cleared of its buildings now for many years. Only the 2 headstocks now remain and have been awaiting restoration for several years.

2. The Explore
Was contemplating whether to report on here as my photos were pretty limited to be honest. In the end given it’s not been reported on here before so figured something was better than nothing. This was a bit of a bonus explore right at the end (and the 10th explore) of my trip to Belgium, last month. I’d had this place marked on a previous visit to Charleroi a year or so ago but never got around to coming here. I’d kind of forgotten about the place but when I was heading over to Amicale Solvey late on the Sunday, caught a glimpse of these two beasts. So, on the way back with the sun having set and dusk upon me, I parked up, walked down an overgrown path between two houses onto an old football field at the back of some houses and negotiated the wire fencing. The two iron giants reaching up into the colbalt-blue sky was pretty atmospheric. Fortunately, I had just enough light to get some decent pictures but didn’t contemplate climbing them in the low light. And a fitting way to finish off a pretty coal-mining heavy trip…

3. The Pictures

49165644756_ac944336bf_b.jpg

49165876847_8f96c5f802_b.jpg

49165875757_91896ed8c6_b.jpg

49165162323_face6f6d68_b.jpg

49165639261_ae3ea8a142_b.jpg

49165160728_4431cb1d40_b.jpg

49165636896_51e0d991b7_b.jpg

49165157698_ec5a810fa4_b.jpg

49165156928_4e647f8396_b.jpg

49165634106_90a8275a88_b.jpg

49165866617_d434cc8c9d_b.jpg

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I like this in the half light. Looks like the ladders have been cut off though?

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
like these, nice and natural, with that dusk look. :thumb

Very nice write up. As soon as I read firedamp, then further down that the mine was one of the first to introduce electric extraction, I instantly thought very dangerous combination. Never though it would be a cart explosion. But I did pre-empt internally before I read about the accident.

Those poor men. Shame the site is now gone, I believe a tribute should have been built for them. I hope the headstocks get left alone. Something to mark these mens deaths.

Angelsfire83

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice. Last year my 2 young explorers,a friend and I had a chance visit to a power station in Belguim. We got what photos we could in the fading light. There was a very eerie little house next to it that gave us chills. It was an awesome explore

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
I thought these looked like they could be tricky to get up tbh.
Like you, this was the last bonus at the end of the day and I was faced with fading light as well.

Who has read this thread (Total: 155) View details