real time web analytics
Report - - The Highlander Ponteland Northumberland July 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Highlander Ponteland Northumberland July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
I was very hesitant about posting a report on the place as no doubt someone will look at my report and feel the need to do a YouTube video and whore it out all over social media.
The pub has been sealed I've heard now though and it is alarmed, the alarms were going off when I explored it, so I literally had 10 minutes to grab my pics and go, as I was leaving a security van turned up.
Pubs are usually derpy as they get and smashed to bits but this pub has clearly had someone looking after it, considering it closed in 2018 and was barely untouched.
Tables were set, bar was full, however the drink was a bit out of date.
I explored this with my partner and one of the locals who told me how popular the pub use to be and being the only pub in the village. She told me how it was a blow to the village and if she had 1 million spare, she would buy it and refurbish it.
Following a series of winding country roads lies the little rural village of Belsay.
Home to one shop, a school and just under 500 people, this village has something missing in the heart of it. The Pub closed its doors in 2018 was a great sadness to the village.
The pub is currently up for sale for 1 million, to be either reopened as a pub again or for redevelopment.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
To the north of Ponteland is a public house with links to Scotland. This marks an occasion during the Jacobite rising of 1745, where Scottish armies advanced into England to further claims to the English throne. During this incursion, Charles Edward Stuart, popularly Bonnie Prince Charlie, reputedly bathed at a Ponteland public house. Marking this occasion, the house is still called The Highlander. Looking tidy for something which has been closed since 2016

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
i'll request putting in non public because its isolated & in very good condition, (grade 2 listed)
be a shame to see it follow the same fate as this (once beautiful) empty pub in South Hylton.

o

Attachments

• 8738955908_9238044c3f_b.jpg
    8738955908_9238044c3f_b.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
i'll request putting in non public because its isolated & in very good condition, (grade 2 listed)
be a shame to see it follow the same fate as this (once beautiful) empty pub in South Hylton.

o

It's why I was hesitant about posting it but wanted to show you guys a decent pub as they are always
trashed, so I understand why its should be np.

HUMPHREY

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been their loads of times over the years, had some very nice meals and BBQ events in the past. I keep looking at it now and again when I cycle past. You might not know why it is stuck their on it's own, miles from Ponteland and Belsay. The Bolam Estate (as in Bolam Lake) did not allow any alcoholic establishments on their land, that's why there is none in Belsay. The highlander was built at the southern boundary and The Knowesgate Hotel at the northern Boundary, with the pub in Mitford the nearest to the Eastern boundary.

The Waggon Inn, now the Steak House is located where it is for the same reason. Same reason why no pubs on Darras Hall Estate and in most of Westerhope (same person built both estates and was staunch Methodist and a teetotaller.

Boots432

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh wow, such a shame I recall going there with my perants and I bet my perants perants went there too

Who has read this thread (Total: 271) View details