real time web analytics
Report - - The Hospital Mortuary, Various... | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Hospital Mortuary, Various...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Six and I recently amended our route to Scotland to head for a small county hospital. I'd barely seen a picture of the hospital itself, but was sold on the place enough to drive an extra 40 miles for the simple fact it had a ceramic slab...

What is it about a mortuary which captures our interest? The fact that it's where we end up when we shuffle off our mortal coil? The fact that your average person never sees the inside of one while their heart is still beating? Or is it simply a morbid curiosity of seeing the inside of a building with so much stigma?

For me a ceramic slab is a thing of beauty despite it's sombre function. A slab is probably the largest single piece of glazed earthenware you'll ever see... I cannot think of anything larger. I love that there are often stylized headrests or waste pipes, touches of designs that the stainless replacements sadly lack. The other thing that I've noticed is that chopping up a dead fellow has obviously not really changed all that much in the past hundred years, so the mortuary escapes the modernization that often blights the hospitals they belong to

Below is a selection of mortuaries that I've been lucky enough to see that either retain a slab or something else of note.

DSC_0253_zpsjhgvsowg.jpg
DSC_0205_zpsc7phiggh.jpg

DSC_0216_zpsxam89lb2.jpg

DSC_0171_zpsspncgaoh.jpg

DSC_0703_zpsnzclqhm7.jpg
DSC_0010_zpsdhxxbtnf.jpg

Mortuary%202_zpsxw3soil0.jpg

Mortuary%203_zpsmjcnzqke.jpg

St%20Marys%2016_zpsjc6dvpas.jpg
St%20Marys%2025_zps7ep29vpo.jpg

WP%20Mortuary%2017_zpswaa8dxwu.jpg

WP%20Mortuary%2019_zpsofxc53an.jpg

West%20Middlesex%20Hosp%2020_zpsldkvprkt.jpg

DSC_0192_zpsilh7aapd.jpg
DSC_0092%202_zpsqng61sdr.jpg

West%20Middlesex%20Hosp%2030_zps1hjeklax.jpg

High%20Royds%20Hosp%20180%20of%20296_zpsbvq804ip.jpg

High%20Royds%20Hosp%20186%20of%20296_zps4m7b5uk2.jpg

Cane%20Hill%20Hosp%20117%20of%20308_zpsrwhwgjmd.jpg

Cane%20Hill%20Hosp%20118%20of%20308_zpszcslbo1n.jpg

Cane%20Hill%20Hosp%20123%20of%20308_zps29r8mnz0.jpg

Cane%20Hill%20Hosp%20125%20of%20308_zpsngebf6bw.jpg

Cane%20Hill%20Hosp%20128%20of%20308_zpspdlvqgfk.jpg

Hartwood%20165_zpslzh0nfsa.jpg

Hartwood%20167_zpsh2fiz8jz.jpg

DSC_0227_zpsbxpsl72x.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Another belter!

One day, when you sit still, try and fix the pics (dead links) in all those epic old threads would ya, you'd prob get @agk to assist if you ask nicely ;)

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice selection! That's a lot of porcelain too! Quite like your little detailed shots aswell.
Quite a few I recognise, A few I've missed out on, some I'll never get to see & some I've seen :)

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
West Middlesex, found by Clayderman and myself, with the assistance of a gravestone.

Still one of my favourets to date.
Such a shame the Hellingly one got smashed & burnt, had a very nice chapel of rest attached to it once.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Still one of my favourets to date.
Such a shame the Hellingly one got smashed & burnt, had a very nice chapel of rest attached to it once.

Any pics of how it looked pre fire Monk?

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
I only had a small selection on film from about 97/99, but none of the little chapel, didn't take any proper pics until 2003, by that time it had been completely gutted by fire, if memory serves me it was the little room attached to the mourge, had wooden cladding all round with lots of velvet and a small stained glass window.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great stuff. You can't beat a Mortuary for some reason. I really wish I had made it to the Tenby one :(

I have somewhere, photos of severalls mortuary before it closed

Edit: Hellingly, I have three of Hellingly. One with bodies on the racks

Pics or it didn't happen...

Still time for the Tenby one isn't there? It's still there as far as I know.It was locked by the time I got there :(

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Pics or it didn't happen...

Still time for the Tenby one isn't there? It's still there as far as I know.It was locked by the time I got there :(

Pretty sure its still there. Nothings happened to the building.

Bristol General might have to rank as my fav.. although CH & St Mary's also firm favs.

None of Fairmile?

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning work, i really wish id have seen high royds when it was still their.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Given to me by someone who has been collecting images of Asylums since they closed:

img206.gif

Amazing, this was the first room to be destroyed by fire in the hospital, had deep red velvet material draped on the walls when we saw it.