real time web analytics
Report - - The infamous Forges de Clabecq, Belgium - 10/02/07 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The infamous Forges de Clabecq, Belgium - 10/02/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

K

killrob

A monstrous disused iron foundry in Belgium that used to provide employment for 6,500 workers, closed December 2001. The hot rolling mill is still in use (not in the photo below), but the site is so massive this doesn't effect exploring it one bit. We looked at some of the west side of the site and ran out of daylight before we even had a chance to cross the train tracks to the main site which houses the blast furnace which still dominates the small town of Clabecq.

A_108831.jpg

An aerial view of the site, borrowed (as you can see from the watermark) from globalview.be. The bit we looked at is to the very left of the photo. Big site isn't it?

IMG_0295.jpg

Our entry point. Just over the fence and in

IMG_0225.jpg

The main site and blast furnace tower we didn't even get round to looking at

IMG_0207.jpg

First building we saw was the coal bunker. It took us about half an hour just to get accustomed to the sheer scale of things before we moved on

IMG_0222.jpg

Power supply

IMG_0294.jpg

Need a wide angle lens I think

IMG_0289.jpg

Chunk taken out the concrete. Surely not an accident, must have been to make room for something to pass through. You wouldn't get away with modifications like that in the UK...

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

As high as we dared go. The structure seems sound still but there's a bit of a lack of safety rails and walls without holes in. The building with the elevator coming off it is the coal bunker, the first building we went in and is visible on the aerial photo as the building at the top left

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Nearly the whole thing is made from sort of 'off the shelf' steel if you know what I mean. Nothing specially formed, just lengths cut and bolted together.

IMG_0245.jpg

It must have taken several years of production just to replace the amount of metal used to build the site

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

My favourite pic. We needed torches even though it was daylight. Everything was covered in a thick layer of brown-black dust.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Ferry back

Thanks for looking, does anyone know what any of the bits in the photos do? I should think this place will be around for a while to come yet purely because of the amount of effort it would take to pull it down. It gives a better feeling of what really goes on in these places than any museum ever could.

naatje from holland

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: The infamous Forges de Clabecq, Belgium - 10/02/07 - REPORT

last december i visited clabecq to, unfortunately only with my crappy ass mobile phone camera. but the size was truely unlike anything I had ever seen before. I've spend two whole days there and been up the main tower twice but still haven't seen it all I think
17-12-06_1355.jpg
17-12-06_1526.jpg
17-12-06_1352.jpg
17-12-06_1156.jpg