real time web analytics
Report - - The Lost River Pellipar Old Tunnel | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Lost River Pellipar Old Tunnel

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cjdonnelly

Tunnelmaster
28DL Full Member
I Was up at my great grannies where this burn is and decided to get the waders in the back of the car and do a bit of paddling
This is a description of the burn and what it passes under or goes by
the burn starts up in the mountain above the town and flows through a culvert up at the top of the town ive never seen it before.
The river flows under garvagh road in a 7 foot RCP Culvert bridge and flows a short distance into the small tunnel what i like about this tunnel there is a short part of victorian brick arch and the rest is 4 foot RCP It flows out of the tunnel and into a mini forest behind a carpark and swings down a steep sided gorge under an old bridge called Newbridge at the church the one thats 40 feet high it flows shortly downstream into the big Tunnel Which is a 6 Foot RPC Most of the way and then it is built into a concrete box bridge but when they constructed this tunnel they dug a deep hole in this part of the tunnel for catching waste and bulky things. Finally it flows out of here by the way i call this bridge ballyquinn bridge which is the road above it. The river flows into the old tunnel and emerges here at a really old bridge built into it .
1554233642234.jpg

The old bridge which has been built into the old tunnel.
1554234282912.jpg

There is a deep pool here to deep for the boots anyways so i came in the newer end
1554234382472.jpg

1554234530882.jpg

1554234604044.jpg

1554234694968.jpg

The Newer Side Of The Tunnel This Is The Inlet. Thank god the construction crew cleared this side out see before it was impossible to get down here without at least getting stung by nettles or pricked by blackthorns.
1554234897920.jpg

Blue Barrel
1554235060791.jpg

The old bike must have been lying here a real long time the tree has praticly grown through it
1554235197359.jpg

Comming up to the Big Tunnel
1554235359381.jpg

The Big Tunnel
1554235468251.jpg

You can teel how big the tunnel is by the car rim on the stonebed
1554235550859.jpg

Going In
1554235652950.jpg

Looking Back
1554235710926.jpg

1554235865788.jpg

Maxinum point reached See that large pool here there is a deep hole here where the steps drop in i know this is a very deep hole do not know exactly but its definantly over the 3 meter mark anyway best to keep back from it. The hole is called a Sump Hole ive been in a smaller tunnel in draperstown which also had a sump hole in it just like it there is a manhole above the steps for when the hole fills up with debris it can be sucked out with a vacuum or dredged out but i think the steps will keep it deep for a long time anyway.
thats all for now

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not sure but I think that is just manhole access for that small chamber, perhaps the falling water has just created a deep pit, but a sump normally drains away, or has a manhole above it so it can be pumped out to a tanker or some such?

Last edited:

cjdonnelly

Tunnelmaster
28DL Full Member
Not sure but I think that is just manhole access for that small chamber, perhaps the falling water has just created a deep pit, but a sump normally drains away, or has a manhole above it so it can be pumped out to a tanker or some such? Someone on here will know for sure?
when this tunnel was built that deep hole was dug for catching rubbish and debris and the manhole is for cleaning out

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I see that, but I mean normally there is a manhole above the sump itself, so no man access is needed, no worries either way.