Web
Analytics
Report - - The Malthouse, Hampshire. October 2020 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Malthouse, Hampshire. October 2020

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was the third visit of the day for me and @Chloe Explores.

A once beautiful thatched house in a small picturesque village in deepest Hampshire surrounded by other thatched properties and a lovely village church. Now a building standing empty after a fire, surrounded by scaffolding, with a seriously damaged upper floor and no roof.

It was a lovely quiet, uninterrupted visit with only the sound of the plastic sheeting around the scaffolding flapping in the wind. It was a very large house with a beautiful fireplace in the living room, beams on the ceilings and a fabulous kitchen. The whole place was littered with charred thatch from the fire, it was even inside the cupboards.

Upstairs was just a burnt out shell and given the damage up there and possible water damage i didn’t venture any further from the top of the stairs.

Outside the garden was looked after and the shed structure was secure and appeared to be alarmed, yet the house was not secure at all, certainly no climbing of scaffolding needed to walk in.

History -

Once again, given this is mentioned in a report on the fire that the building was historical, information is not forthcoming. I have only been able to find out the following after an extensive search :

A Grade II listed building. Cottage. Cl7 and C20. Timber-frame with colourwashed brick infill and additions,
roof thatched. 1½ storey, 4 bay timber-frame with brick addition to left and outshot to left half on both faces. Outshot to front from narrow left centre bay leftwards with C20 door and casements. In right half 2 C19 2-light casements. Roof half-hipped with ridge stack over narrow bay and ridge stack at left end of
timber-frame.

In 2019 a huge fire tore through the roof causing extensive damage to the upper floor. Around 50 firefighters and 12 fire engines were on the scene assisted by support vehicles, firefighters were successful in stopping the fire spreading to neighbouring houses.

Planning permission has been submitted to rebuild, prior to this there was a planning request to extend the property but it was withdrawn.

With permission i have included a picture of the fire by @Chloe Explores

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a beauty of a building. Thats some blaze. Was this an arson attack? such a shame. I hope this building makes it back to rejuvenation. Lovely explore :thumb