real time web analytics
the march to spalding line part 2 march station | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

the march to spalding line part 2 march station

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
hi its youu,re furitive farmer here out mooching again
another day another cat to march gave me a chance to do another bit of the old march to spalding line this time march station if ypu have read my other report i dont have to bore you with the lines history.
as a bonus on my way home my attention was distracted by a disused level crossing and bridge as i discovered the bramley line
from march to wisbeach which i will do seperately as part 3 preventing me from doing an explore from the peterborough area but that can go on the back burner till next time.

so to the history march station is on the peterborough to ely line opening in 1847 and was a major junction for 4 routes
peterborough to ely ipswich,nowich stanstead and cambridge now a greater anglia station with trains run by east midlands & cross country stopping here.
march to spalding opened 1867 closed 1982
st ives branch opened 1848 closed by beeching in 1967
and the bramley line to kings lynn & wattlington via wisbeach opened 1847 closed by beeching to kings lynn 1968 the line lost its freight traffic in 2000 but the
track is still in place owned by network rail and still connected at march but locked out and has been propsed as a heritage line but nothing has yet materialised.
back at march the great yarmouth saturday loco hauled seaside trains are a distant memory as the gn & ge platforms silently watch another east midlands trains goes by.

looking towards ely the march to spalding trackbed in the foreground
007.JPG

the old platforms are fenced off with security fencing and a locked gate on the bridge so are not accessable and had to photograph through the fence
009.JPG
a
a pile of scrap signals sit in the yard
008.JPG

a full view of the platforms and the last bit of spalding line track in the foreground
010.JPG

the platform still retains part of its canopy for now note the beautifull 18th century support on the opposite platform
011.JPG

the bridge looking towards the crossing
013.JPG

another view of this beauifull ornate 18th century canopy
014.JPG

two more views of the decorated platform note the column and old luggage barrow in the foreground
015.JPG

016.JPG

looking towards the joint line
017.JPG

8148725575_4daf356f89_b.jpg

rats 25146 and 25126 in the back platform at March working the Derby to Yarmouth summer Saturday train on 5 July 1975.
25256 and 25130 arriving off the Joint Line at March working the Derby to Yarmouth summer Saturday train on 10 August 1974.
8148725929_76aa27fd86_c.jpg

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Brilliant
The station originally had seven platforms. However, two of these are now filled-in bay platforms and the track has been removed from a further west-facing bay on the southern side of the station. There are now just two operational platforms, although track has been re-laid on two disused platforms on the northern side of the station and it is anticipated that these may be used should proposals to re-open the line to Wisbech come to fruition.

Last edited: