real time web analytics
the march to wisbech bramley line part 3 twenty feet bridge & crossing | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

the march to wisbech bramley line part 3 twenty feet bridge & crossing

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
hi
if you,,ve followed my other posts you,d have read about part 3...well here it is

after doing march station i was on my way home with the intention of doing another explore in the peterboro area when a derelict crossing and bridge distracted my attention so turning the car around i headed towards it to investigate.
the bridge and crossing turned out to be part of the bramley line opened in 1847 built by the wisbech st ives and cambridge junction railway ( ws&cjr) it was taken over by the eastern counties railway before completion then by the great eastern railway in 1862 .
this 7.8 mile line ran across the fens in an almost straight line to reach the town and port of wisbech the only intermediate station being at coldham the station lasted untill 1863 when it was resited further south and named wisbech east to avoid confusion with the midland and great northerns wisbech north the line was extended 9.5 miles to wattlington junction to connect with the downham market to kings lynn line wattlington station still survives today the line has been electrified and great northern trains call here on their way to kings cross with additional peak time services to liverpool st courtesy of greater anglia.

Although not recommended for closure in the beeching report of 1963, the series of lines around Wisbech were gradually closed from the 1960s onwards. Coldham station was the first to be closed in 1966, followed by the March to Watlington via Wisbech branch in September 1968
The line was singled in March 1972 with the lifting of the down rails but remaining open between March and Wisbech for freight traffic namely steel coil from the metal Box factory and occasional parcels, coal and pet food trains from nestle purina until Summer 2000.

Wisbech East Station was lost to redevelopment following closure in 1968 and the station site was obliterated by a housing development in 2001
The track now ends at Weasenham Lane crossing following the tarmacing over of the rails from the level crossing in 2005. Beyond this point, the old Wisbech East Goods Yard acquired by Nestle Purina from Railtrack in 1995 was last used in 2000. Three years after the last pet food train from Wisbech, the remaining three sidings were lifted. Most of the yard area now forms the factory and car park extension.
The single track, owned by Network Rail, is still connected to the National Rail network via Whitemoor Junction near March, but locked off. New signalling was installed at the junction during late 2007 for the benefit of outward bound engineering trains from the re-opened Whitemoor Yard, once the second biggest freight yard in Europe during World War II and now a stabling point for engineering trains.] The railway's infrastructure, including the level crossings, remains largely in place but North of the former Wisbech East station site. The trackbed has been built over meaning it would not be possible to reopen a through line from March to Watlington.

proposed re opening as a hertitage line

In June 2009, the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) petitioned in its report Connecting Communities: Expanding Access to the Rail Network for the line to be restored as part of the national rail network as part of plans for 14 extra lines and about 40 new stations This £12 million proposal would see hourly trains running on the existing single line between Wisbech, March and Peterborough and could be linked with Cross Country's proposed extension of Birmingham - Leicester service to Peterborough. It would serve a population of Wisbech of 26,500 and a wider station catchment area of 50,000 including villages and towns such as Long Sutton in the area between the Spalding-Peterborough line and the King's Lynn lines. A new station at Wisbech and a possible additional park and ride adjacent to the A47 would be built The ATOC report was based on a detailed, professional, market study for reinstated railways with the aim of improving economic regeneration. The ATOC report has the active support of the Liberal Democrats, Railfuture and is being followed up by the local Conservative council.
sadly Having reviewed the ATOC proposals the Wisbech to March Bramley Line published its position statement with its main points being:-
  1. the service proposed by ATOC is between Wisbech and Peterborough via March for which they believe an adequate express bus services already exists.
  2. The capital costs to reinstate a full national rail service are at least £12m and probably more
  3. The report in respect of the March – Wisbech line contains only an option for review not a proposal for the restoration of a service.
  4. Network Rail has confirmed to the Bramley Line that the establishment of a community heritage service would not be a barrier to network services returning to the line in the future.
  5. Community heritage railways require significantly less capital costs to re-establish services and lower operating costs.
but the story doesnt there yet....

The Wisbech March Railway Group was formed on 22 October 2003 by Wisbech businessman Peter Downs following an initiative he had raised at meetings of the local Chamber of Commerce. In response to a question as to how more visitors could be attracted to The Fens and Wisbech in particular, he suggested reinstating the railway line. Downs began making enquiries within the railway industry as to the future plans for the disused line which had seen its last freight service in 2000. An article was published in the local press to drum up support and a meeting was held which elected Downs as Chairman. The railway's name was chosen and formally adopted at the meeting, after the large quantity of Bramley apples that used to be carried by rail from the area.
In December 2007 Fenland District Council refused the Bramley Line's application for £20,000 funding on the basis that the project had "no business basis" and "no practical outcome". The Council advised the group to prepare another business plan and offered to help it secure alternative funding
The Bramley Line obtained a licence from Network Rail which permits them to clear vegetation but not to undertake track maintenance. The Track Clearance Team commenced at Coldham in July 2006 and continued until November 2014, working back towards Wisbech. The team also replaced and painted fencing at various sites and an isolated siding was laid at Waldersea, with a site office being provided to serve as the group's headquarters. The Group were working to raise the money to pay Network Rail's legal fees to obtain a lease on the line for the purposes of restoring it for tourist trains.
In February 2005 the Bramley Line Group purchased five Class 488 coaches, comprising a rake of four Standard class and one Club Class vehicles. A public appeal raised £2,500 to move the coaches to March but, following vandalism, it was decided in November 2007 that the coaches should be sold; being purchased by a New Zealand-based railway in May 2008. Bramley Line also acquired the former Smeeth Road signal box, complete with lever frame. Since closure the 'box had been used as a hairdressers and was complete and in good order. It was removed to a site in Wisbech, where it was stored, but not restored
In November 2014 the project ceased work, and declined an offer of heritage rolling stock, while the future of the route is decided.
In May 2016 a working party of volunteers worked on track-laying around the proposed Waldersea station and depot.
it is very unlikely now that the line will ever reopen as a heritage line as network rail have placed a tag of £100 million for restoration of the line personally i think a plucked out of the sky figure with the intention of keeping the line closed untill demolition can take place which would see the bridge removed and the track finally lifted.
its only saviour could be sustrans turning it into a walking or cycle path but thats just conjecture on my part if the track is lifted the trackbed will possibly be ploughed back into the fields to be lost forever like its neighbouring march to spalding line i doubt the march to wisbech line will ever see a train again and if it does it,ll only be the demolition train.

the line today
the vegetation has returned with a vengance with proof on my legs the crossings have been fenced off which required a batman job (which im sure im getting too old for ! ) around the fencing to get to the bridge side which brought on the vertigo collywobbles as i dont really like high places.
making my way on to the bridge the timbers arent as sturdy as they look especially as i could see the river below and as i didnt fancy a fall and a dip walked on the chairs that hold the rail in place with my arms out to the side for balance walking like darcey bussell at the royal ballet.
having taken some photos of the bridge and crossing the other side of the crossing also fenced was inacessable due to vegetation took my leave just in case plod decided to turn up and i,d have some explaining to do so with another batman job around the fence i headed to the car to head for home and a fag to soothe the collywobbles vowing one day to return to do that peterboro explore i keep putting off.

6e0d4cc8c20fef94f3872e1c9b1ca5c8.jpg

a WMRG special negotiates the branch prior to closure thanks to EARA
020.JPG

the approach to 20 feet crossing
019.JPG

looking towards wisbech the track is just visible
2780333_fbc3e449.jpg

_54628801_54628800.jpg

two views of 20 feet bridge after closure the line was salvageble at this point
021.JPG

the view today looking towards march through the fence shows how delapidated the bridge has become
022.JPG

after the batman routine around the fence i was on the bridge not knowing what was 20 feet the bridge the drop or the river depth i was taking no chances here
023.JPG

the abutments of the former double track bridge and an attack of the collywobbles
024.JPG

after carefully walking across with the collywobbles at full gibber this is a closer view looking towards march
025.JPG

didnt fancy trusting the timbers this time from the bridge looking towards wisbech
class31.jpg

this is how a heritage line could have looked as a green liveried class 31 approaches 20 feet crossing with a special tour of the branch regular trains ended shortly after

Last edited: