real time web analytics
Report - - The National Gas Turbine Establishment - Pyestock - 'Old Story Fresh Photos' - 2007-2019 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The National Gas Turbine Establishment - Pyestock - 'Old Story Fresh Photos' - 2007-2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really enjoyed that report Speed, awesome stuff.

Thoroughly enjoyed my 2012 visits to this place, such fun.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I certainly don't recall a structure like that, but then changes were made to the site, structures built and dismantled during my time there and I don't recall all of them. The two aerial photos I took on 14th January 1998..

I never tire of seeing aerial or external shots of the place, it's so evocative.

tirpitz

Toy Car Racer
28DL Full Member
Great to see the place again & good to see my old mate Retrogeezer's name on the whiteboard.
He moved away from Farnborough a long time back......

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Vector Aerospace i guess? Was very much still going even a coupe of years ago let alone when these photos were taken. It was pretty much built after NGTE closed.

Moelwyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Referring to the second of the two aerial photos on here, I guess we are talking about the low, square building in the lower left corner. That was built in the early 1980s as the New Services Workshop. 595 Building, Buildings in Pyestock were know by their names rather than numbers. The workshop had a couple of long bays and was well kitted out with overhead travelling cranes. Part of it was used by the staff supporting the anechoic chamber but the building never saw a great deal of use otherwise. Again referring to the second photo, there is a tall building to the north. That was the plant store, where all manner of items of plant equipment were stored - valves, pumps, bearings, etc. Because of it's size it was also know as the Palladium or elephant house.

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report and photographs, gutted, truly gutted I never got to see this place, especially in a Santa outfit.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Wonderful set of photos and a great report. Pyestock was my first explore, I regret not going back later when I knew how to take a decent photo.

retrogeezer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great write-up and photos, some very similar to ones I took on my visits back on 2007. Between Jan and July that year I must have gone there at least 5 times. One memorable afternoon was spent watching the air show from the roof of the air house in 2008, that must have been my last visit. I sadly never got the chance to visit again after that as we had moved to Cheshire in July 07 (from Farnborough) and still regret not making more of an effort. Even between my first and last visit it was being trashed, I remember seeing loads of paint cans just thrown all over the place outside the plant house. We spent all day there every visit, I absolutely loved it there. My name is on that white board :) I've had to re-register as I guess this is a new forum but one of my old reports is still on here: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/pyestock-visit-10-06-07.15218/

Last edited:

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Absolutely fantastic stuff that fella. One I actually missed and I've always kicked myself over that but was too busy having kids and working my arse off!
Must have been epic wandering round here.
Probably one of the best write ups I've seen for a while, superb.

Juzek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow, epic report. Breathtaking pictures. This is unforgettable experience!

82ndSt

28DL Member
28DL Member
Absolutely gutted I am literally a decade late to this party. Which is good going even by my standards.

Who has read this thread (Total: 798) View details