real time web analytics
Report - - The National Institute for Medical Research (nimr) millhill london 2/17 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The National Institute for Medical Research (nimr) millhill london 2/17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

roaming7765

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited here with a couple of non-members after finding out about it by chance entry was interesting and security are on the ball but we managed to get in none the less. was a bit gutted to find it so stripped but the building itself made up for that. here's some history i borrowed from wiki

The National Institute for Medical Research (commonly abbreviated to NIMR), is a medical research institute based in Mill Hill, on the outskirts of London, England. It is principally funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), and is its largest establishment and one of only three designated as an 'Institute'.

In 2016, the NIMR began its migration to the new Francis Crick Institute, constructed next to St Pancras railway station in the Camden area of central London.

Moving to Mill Hill[edit]
In the 1930s, the decision was made to move the Institute to new premises. An imposing copper-roofed building at Mill Hill was designed by Maxwell Ayrton, the architect of the original Wembley Stadium, and construction began in 1937. Occupation was delayed when war broke out in 1939 and the building was given to the Women's Royal Naval Service. The building was returned to the MRC in autumn 1949 but Dale had retired in 1942 and so was never director on the new site, that job falling to his successor Sir Charles Harington.

The official opening ceremony took place on 5 May 1950, with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth present. Harington expanded the research programme into ten divisions during his 20-year tenure and guided researchers at the Institute to, amongst other achievements, the development of gas chromatography and the discovery of interferon. From 1950-55 Albert Neuberger was Head of Biochemistry at the Institute.

In 1962, Nobel Prize winner Sir Peter Medawar became the director and, consistent with his research interests, established NIMR as a major centre for immunological research. Following an illness, Medawar retired as director in 1971 to be replaced by Sir Arnold Burgen. Burgan had an interest in nuclear magnetic resonance techniques and formed the MRC Biomedical NMR Centre at the Institute in 1980. Sir Dai Rees became director in 1982 to be replaced by Sir John Skehel in 1987. Since then NIMR has continued to excel scientifically, reporting perhaps most famously the discovery of the sex-determining gene SRY, in 1991.

For you batman fans was used as Arkham asylum in batman begins

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a5.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_219a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_219b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_219c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_219e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_2194.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_2198.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_2197.jpg

UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_21a1.jpg

Thanks for looking

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
its untouched which is beautiful, but for me i find it more interesting when places are a bit more damaged/derelict. great explore anyway g

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good job dodging security , some great shots there. It is very clean. Nice to see a clean building. :cool: Im with @pigeonboy on the older decaying ones, I love them, but like seeing different examples of all explores :thumb

The_Raw

Staff member
Has anyone been here recently? Any idea of its current state?
They've torn off at least one of the wings of the main building and probably taking the other side off at the moment. Think they are keeping the central block. Might be a good time to get in through the demo'd sections