real time web analytics
Report - - The Oasis leisure Centre - Swindon - may 2021 | Leisure Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Oasis leisure Centre - Swindon - may 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah this explains why we set the alarm off today then went and got in earlier but I thought it was a different way to get to the pool because the gates were sealed but ended up setting the alarms off unfortunately
Ahh u went again today then. Its still accessible then

The0farrell

South Wales
28DL Full Member
Ahh u went again today then. Its still accessible then
Yeah we never tried on Thursday we went today instead because we thought we’d have better luck on the bank holiday. There’s probably a way to get to the pool I was just being thick and went up the blue stairs without checking them properly first which triggered the alarm

Bakes

28DL Member
28DL Member
Such a shame to see the centre closed! I remember playing a gig at a private pool party here a few years ago which was strange enough to see the place with so few people. This just takes it even further than though.
Amazing pics and interesting information and history!

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! And an entertaining and informative write-up.

I really like the vibe of elaborate pool complexes in leisure sites. Maybe its a result of my dreaming about swimming in random deserted indoor pools since I was kid. Pools have a similar clinical and stark aesthetic to hospitals (sterile tile and whitewash or pastel walls with sturdy plastic or vinyl furniture and formal warning signage) yet there's also the cartoonish and slightly grotesque features (slides, fountains, fantastical oversized decor etc) in gharish colours, which skew to it more to the surreal than clinical. Also, for me at least, the sheer lack of water and the unmistakable fragrance of diluted chlorine all being gone also feels "wrong" and a bit unsettling, like some law of nature has gone awry.

And of course there's the whole liminal space/liminal pools thing going on at the moment which also lends to the mystique.

I think I need to go and do some leisure sites to satisfy my curiosity. Also, I can never see a pool and not think about the nutty 90s leisure centre sitcom The Brittas Empire.

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I really like the vibe of elaborate pool complexes in leisure sites. Maybe its a result of my dreaming about swimming in random deserted indoor pools since I was kid. Pools have a similar clinical and stark aesthetic to hospitals (sterile tile and whitewash or pastel walls with sturdy plastic or vinyl furniture and formal warning signage) yet there's also the cartoonish and slightly grotesque features (slides, fountains, fantastical oversized decor etc) in gharish colours, which skew to it more to the surreal than clinical. Also, for me at least, the sheer lack of water and the unmistakable fragrance of diluted chlorine all being gone also feels "wrong" and a bit unsettling, like some law of nature has gone awry.

And of course there's the whole liminal space/liminal pools thing going on at the moment which also lends to the mystique.

I think I need to go and do some leisure sites to satisfy my curiosity. Also, I can never see a pool and not think about the nutty 90s leisure centre sitcom The Brittas Empire.
cheers mate. speaking of the brtittas empire.. see another 1 of my posts.. magnet leisure centre

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Love Brittas, still watch it on gold sometimes lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 676) View details