real time web analytics
Report - - The Odeon (aka. Classic/Scott) Cinema - Bridgwater - February 2023 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Odeon (aka. Classic/Scott) Cinema - Bridgwater - February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Just a mini report really. Unusually for a cinema explore there was little in here I really felt was worth photographing. A typical 30s Odeon, pretty much just a box with a nice deco frontage. I only managed to explore the stalls and lobby area which had been recently vacated by Mecca bingo. Up in the circle there is a two screen cinema, again recently vacated by 'Scott cinemas' (that have built a big new multiplex just down the road). However it appears the two are completely separate internally with no access upstairs from the bingo. As mentioned the cinema has a nice Odeon style deco frontage and 'tower' but its a bit of an illusion as this doesn't actually form part of the cinema itself, it is actually a row of shops which have been long derelict to the point where all the floors have collapsed in on themselves. What i managed to access amounted to the stalls, main entrance lobby, boiler house and plenum chambers. There were a few cupboards and offices but all modernised and devoid of interest.

Nothing amazing here but thought id post so others might go and have a go at the cinema upstairs. Im told since my visit the nicely discreet access has been sealed and the alarm reset but who knows really..

Cinema Treasures provides an overview of the buildings history.
Opened as the Odeon, one of the original Oscar Deutsch Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain. The opening date was 13th July 1936 with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in “The Amateur Gentleman”.

Architect T. Cecil Howitt again designed another striking Art Deco style cinema for the circuit. The corner entrance was dominated by a flat-topped tower, which had a ‘roof’ supported by four short pillars on each side. There was a row of shops with flats above to the left of the entrance and these, together with the entrance tower were faced in cream faïence tiles.

Inside the auditorium the seating capacity of 1,525 was on a stadium plan with a raised area at the rear (the balcony didn’t overhang the stalls) and seating was provided for 931 in the front stalls and 594 in the raised balcony. The proscenium arch was wide and rectangular and had three coves surrounding it, which contained concealed lighting. There was also a shallow octagonal dome in the centre of the ceiling which had concealed lighting. There were stage facilities which were put to use on occasions by local dramatic companies. In the foyer was an attractive Art Deco stained glass window. The Odeon had an additional facility of a large car park for patrons.

The Odeon was sold off to the Classic Cinemas chain and was re-named Classic from 10th December 1967. It was around this time that the ‘roof’ was removed on the flat-top tower, leaving just the supporting pillar stumps in place! Classic sub-divided the building on 22nd January 1973 and the front stalls became a bingo club, with the raised balcony area being walled off and divided into two 250 seat cinemas.

The Classic Cinemas were closed in March 1983 and lay empty for a while, until they were re-opened by an independent operator. The cinemas were re-named Film Centre, operated by Scott Cinemas and in around 2006 were re-named Scott Cinema. Mecca Bingo still operated in the former front stalls area. The Scott Cinemas closed on 29th September 2022 due to a new nearby 7-screen multiplex which opened by Scott Cinemas in 0nearby Northgate on 28th October 2022. The Mecca Bingo Club in the former front stalls has already closed.​

large (2).jpg

IMG_5572 (2).JPG

IMG_5580 (2).JPG

IMG_5581 (2).JPG

IMG_5558 (2).JPG

IMG_5551 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Westcountry Explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report 😊

Weather permitting I'll be in Bridgwater tomorrow; I plan to try and see what the current state of play is.

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done!

I'll have a look and see if it's open when I remember, it's around the corner from me. Had my eye on the cinema since it shut a couple of months ago, so if anything changes, I'll report back

Who has read this thread (Total: 236) View details