real time web analytics
Report - - The OHP - Ore Handling Plant, Cleveland Iron Works, South Bank 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The OHP - Ore Handling Plant, Cleveland Iron Works, South Bank 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've been told this is in the process of demolition, so I thought I'd stick some photos up of our visit this year.

@dave put a very informative thread up on this some years ago, and I will include one of the replies to that thread below as I very much enjoyed reading it.

Very nostalgic and moving! I worked at South Bank OHP as a young engineer for a period in 1973 doing burden calculations to get the right mix of ores, sinter and coke for the Clay Lane blast furnaces. South Bank Ironworks manager at the time was a (much feared!) Mr. Hunter. Manager at the OHP was a Scotsman, David Campbell, whom nobody could understand such was his accent! David spent very little time actually involved with the operations of the OHP except when things went wrong or the government environmental people arrived to find out why we were bypassing the electrostatic precipitators again and spewing clouds of red dust from the sinter plant all over South Bank. We even had covered car parking spaces to try and help keep the red dust off the cars. In the office, there was an old disabled bloke who, as far as I could tell, had two jobs. His most important job was to mash tea for David Campbell and the Assistant Manager, Fred Lillystone (sniffle, sniffle, sneeze*, sneeze* - * all over everything and everyone!) Fred was a nice guy, nearing retirement in 1973 and 'coasting' in his work to that goal. I wonder if he ever made it to that goal. So the bloke who made the tea, also had another job: mopping down everything in the office with a damp and usually dirty rag. You see, the red dust got everywhere. My shirts tuned an orange colour as did my vest (undershirt) and underpants, especially my behind from sitting on the filthy chairs! Outside the dust clogged up the railway tracks such that one day a train of open wagons being pushed from behind by a little diesel engine went off the track and straight on instead of curving around underneath the conveyor belt towards the coke ovens. The place can be seen in the aerial photo where there's several conveyor belts just up from the OHP. They were OK until everything came to a sudden halt when the leading wagon hit square on one of the lattice steel supports for the conveyor belt overhead. Not only did the train stop very quickly with a loud bang but so did the conveyor belt system. The dust coming off the shaken conveyor belt gantry matched the outpourings from the precipitators for a few minutes! Talking of conveyor belts, South Bank OHP conveyors were notorious for their poor operation. Rubber tags (rips) in the belting flew along and whiplashed from side to side as the belts sped forward. Nobody ever walked along the walkway beside the belt when it was running for fear of his life (there were no women working at the OHP in 1973, only Linda and Pauline in the office at Clay Lane). Then, when the belt stopped for any reason, if it was an inclined belt going uphill, it would often 'run back' under the weight of ore or sinter on it and dump a hefty pile at the base. Usually this was enough that the motor would not start the belt running again. So call in the gang of 20 or so labourers to shovel it all out enough so the belt would start. Then they had to shovel the remainder of the ore or sinter back onto the belt once it was running again. Ah, well! Those were the times. Many more stories I could tell bout the OHP but no time right now. After eight months at OHP I'd had enough and emigrated permanently to Canada where I still am!

It's an odd one this place, I'm not sure why it still exists. I can only assume the long shed made convenient covered storage or something and the offices and welfare buildings attached survived as a result of that. Upon first glance it looks nothing more than a disheveled shed with some ruinous rooms off one side. Although this is the case, there was actually plenty left from it's working life if one took the time to look. The workshops were particularly interesting, with some machinery remaining and plenty of BSC tat lying around. Upstairs had very much been reclaimed by nature but the dated décor was still there to see. The welfare block still retained it's 'colliery style' lockers, with soap dishes and even some personal effects like combs and bars of soap still inside. The whole bank of lockers slowly sinking into the floor as it rots away from the ground up. One of the things that made the place special was it's location had offered it a lot of protection from the usual visitors to derelict buildings, meaning most of the damage was natural decay, no smashed windows or graffiti.

Everything in the whole ground floor was covered in strange dunes of coal dust, presumably blown in from the nearby coke ovens. In one room, brushing these dunes aside revealed almost perfectly preserved steel related paperwork, quite amazing when upon first glance the building appeared to be ruinous!

The building from the pipeline

A Massey hammer in the workshops

Workshop general view

The main shed

Old sign buried in the coal dust dunes... "CAREERS IN STEEL"

The dunes... note the radiators above. The whole building was flanked with them

A good example of the depth of the dust dunes!

Lockers. Note the stainless steel mirrors.

General offices. Really going back to nature

Under the sink in the staff toilets, a mop head sits on a tin of Janitol, where it has lay for probably longer than I have been alive!

Staff toilets - peeley!

The stairs to the offices, note the round skylights - very of the period

I think this had been mechanical maintenance and stores

Another separate welfare block

Store room, lots of BSC paperwork in here.

From the top of the crane

We spent a considerable amount of time in here and I really enjoyed it.​

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report. Careers in steel. Making plans for Nigel by XTC look it up, great song. Is it under demo ?? Can’t tell

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Enjoyed this a lot, thanks. Jim's coat, Steel Works 1980, stainless steel mirrors and round skylights... it's all in the detail.
Under the sink in the staff toilets, a mop head sits on a tin of Janitol, where it has lay for probably longer than I have been alive!

poetry!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes I must sadly confirm it is under demolition as we speak according to my mate who lives locally it has almost all gone. Cracking report BTW you did very well to get in especially with secca being on the ball as they are now. I was chatting to a local chap who worked near there and he said it ended up as a crane training centre something i didn't know. Things are happening very quick now and the demo is getting closer to the coke works by the day. The room with the paperwork in was fascinating i once spent a whole afternoon in there . As you rightly say that black dust was everywhere. So glad you saw this place just in time too. Once again amazing report. Oh and sorry I couldn't make it i would have loved one last look at it.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Enjoyed this, very rusty & very dusty but the photos are great. Content is great, what a great recollection. I love the rusting signage, and the peeling a lot. Just something special about this :thumb

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Apparently it was the crane training school after it was the OHP. Probably why it didnt get demolished.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sadly this has been completely flattened now other parts of the works are going too the coke ovens may still be a while yet as the inquiry into the tragic accident is still on going though not sure. Local people and i include myself are hoping the Dorman Long tower can be saved as a lasting monument to steel industry in this area.

Who has read this thread (Total: 183) View details