Boverton was founded during the reign of William the Conqueror. It is thought that he himself founded Boverton as a farming community beneath his mighty castle. However, Robert Fitzhamon is credited with founding the castle here, Boverton Place, during the 12th century. The castle was rebuilt around 1587 by Roger Seys, a land owner and attorney general of Wales. Boverton Place was an "impressive" fortified manor house of considerable size.