real time web analytics
Report - - The Plough Maltings - Burton on Trent - May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Plough Maltings - Burton on Trent - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ninja

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Herbert Couchman was chief engineer and architect to Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton of Burton upon Trent from 1891. This energetic and meticulous engineer designed an eighth malthouse at Shobnall for the firm in 1891, and then the reconstructed Plough Maltings, Horninglow Street, Burton, in 1899. Couchman was a versatile designer, becoming personally involved with the construction of everything from locomotives to churches in his time with Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton. His best known work was the development of the Sleaford Maltings complex in 1903-6.

The Plough Maltings (Herbert Couchman, 1899-1902), opposite the former Coors Visitor Centre. This substantial red brick structure, currently thought to be threatened by redevelopment, was not a traditional floor maltings but a drum maltings.

I was on the way to check out another place and this caught my eye..

Nearly came a cropper on the first floor though, I lost a leg the through rotten floor twice (see last picture) and luckily made it to safety on the 3rd attempt to get free, a 30 foot fall onto a solid floor doesn't bear thinking about.

Proceed with extreme caution peeps.

043.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

025.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

032.jpg

turkey

Pure bellend
28DL Full Member
About 3-4 years ago they were stripping this place to become flats/apartments. Looks like work stopped.