real time web analytics
Report - - The Potteries of Staffordshire, a round up. | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Potteries of Staffordshire, a round up.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
you cannot drink tea out of a teacup without the aid of the Five Towns; because you cannot eat a meal with decency without the aid of the Five Towns.

The 5 towns... Longton, Fenton, Stoke, Burslem, Hanley. The 5 towns that make up the city of Stoke on Trent. When that town is brought up in conversation, the first thing that pops into people's heads is pottery...

As I'm sure you have all noticed, I've focusing on the pottery industry over the last month or so.

I always felt like I had missed the boat with Sheffield cutlrey, shipbuilding, and of course coal, but the heyday of the decline of pottery is right now.

The hub of the trade was in Stoke. Today the city is in a terrible state of decline, with empty plots of land left right and centre. There is little investment it would seem, and the city has a certain feel to it, which seems similar to the photos you see of Newcastle in the 1980's.

For an area which seems proud to be called "the potteries" there is actually very little left of the industry, and more frustraiting is that what does remain is being flattened, or left to such a state of dereliction that it will have to be flattened.

Here is a round up of the potteries of Stoke and Staffs, to give an idea of the rapid decline of the Potteries...

Morrileu China

ss21of24.jpg

ss12of24.jpg

Weatherby Falcoln Works
ss25of29.jpg

ss8of29.jpg

Shires Bathrooms

ss15of30-1.jpg

ss20of30-1.jpg

Tam's Crown Works

ss15of31.jpg

ss24of31.jpg

Tam's Blyth Works

DSC_0287-1.gif

View attachment 151910

Tooth and Co, Bretby Art Pottery

DSC_0198-3.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

T G Green

DSC_0154-1.jpg

DSC_0121-4.jpg

Acme Marls

AcmeMarls.jpg

AcmeMarls2.jpg

Albion Pottery

Albion2.jpg

Albion1.jpg

Armitage Shanks

ArmitageShanks.jpg

ArmitageShanks2.jpg

Bottle and Calcating kiln, Longton

Bottle2.jpg

Bottle1.jpg

Croft China

Croft1.jpg

Croft2.jpg

Dolby Pottery Bottle Kiln

Dolby.jpg

Dolby2.jpg

Minkstone China

Minkstone.jpg

Minkstone2.jpg

Peter Dobing

PeterDobing2.jpg

PeterDobing.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Portmerion

Portmerion2.jpg

Portmerion.jpg

Prices National Teapots

Prices2-1.jpg

Prices.jpg

Regency China

Regency.jpg

Regency2.jpg

The vast Royal Doulton Nile St Works

RoyalDoulton.jpg

RoyalDoulton2.jpg

Sinpsons Potters

Simpsons2.jpg

Simpsons.jpg

Spode Church St Works

Spode2.jpg

Spode.jpg

Unknown Bottle Kiln, Swadlincote

Swad2.jpg

Swad.jpg

Trent Bathrooms, Johnstone Bros

Trent.jpg

Trent2.jpg

Twyford's Cliff Vale Works

Twyfords2.jpg

Twyfords.jpg

Maggie Blurton

28DL Member
28DL Member
Just a "little" correction here. Stoke on Trent is made up of 6 towns not 5. When Arnold Bennett wrote about us he missed out Fenton now you have included Fenton in your opening remarks but have missed out Tunstall.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just a "little" correction here. Stoke on Trent is made up of 6 towns not 5. When Arnold Bennett wrote about us he missed out Fenton now you have included Fenton in your opening remarks but have missed out Tunstall.

It seems to depend what you are reading and from when it was written. I have various ephemera and vintage literature and it flip flops from 6 to 5.

Your comment is however duly noted!

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is one hell of a report mate, looks like you have put a lot of effort into this, job well done.