real time web analytics
The Public Opinion... | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The Public Opinion...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
There's two ways to make a YouTube video, the good way is a short video showing the explore itself, without giving away entry, there's no need to narrate it, thats generally irritating.

The bad way is to look into the camera and start the video with "What's up guys".
These videos are all about the person and not the explore, the videos will have a click bait title such as "nearly died, dead body found, stabbed & beat up". These are the videos that are not welcome in the real exploring community.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Looking at both of them. They’re nightscape wannabe kind of profiles. Would it not be best to get some all rounder that does a bit of everything and not just rooftopping?

knuxxed

Hibnotic
28DL Full Member
Looking at both of them. They’re nightscape wannabe kind of profiles. Would it not be best to get some all rounder that does a bit of everything and not just rooftopping?
Ideally I would interview them both and ask them questions that have been raised in this thread and then interview someone from this site. The problem is that the roof topping side of things is what is getting the most exposure and the side of Urbex that the public know about. How many people with a large following do roof topping and other urbex activities?

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Ideally I would interview them both and ask them questions that have been raised in this thread and then interview someone from this site. The problem is that the roof topping side of things is what is getting the most exposure and the side of Urbex that the public know about. How many people with a large following do roof topping and other urbex activities?

Well the interesting thing is that a lot of the rooftoppers are spending thier time sneaking into B&Qs and jumping off trains, what ever gets the most views. See, for them, it’s not really about exploring and our world, it’s about getting views. It just so happened that one particular facet of UE that had traditionally been the sole domain of explorers was appropriated by the parkour crowd and by extension, the youtubers. People got a bit confused and though this was ‘urban exploration’, when really I think that urban exploration now probably defines an approach rather than a specific activity. You could draw analogies to punk, something that started with quite a narrowly defined subculture and set of practices and eventually turned into more of an approach or attitude or set of values.

Last edited:

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Knuxxed..

In a nutshell, we don't want the people who are just interested in instant gratification, and looking to use our hobby as a way to further themselves - Regardless of the cost to the community.

Youtubers do it for the likes and sponsorships...

Also the "ghost hunter documentary" people

Then there's the "I'm doing a project for my A-Levels/Uni/etc" crew.....

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
My 2 cents;
I guess in simplest parallels, the youtube, insta and facebook exploring angle is essentially like learning the guitar in order to show off and gain a USP, whilst the exploring angle on here is more like learning the guitar to write your own songs in your own style to share on a cassette tape with your close circle.
It is pretty explainable: the entirety of the game on the big 3 social medias all comes down to generation X going to whatever lengths they can to get their next hit of today's youth's most sought after drug: attention. On youtube, and particularly the '_____explores, exploring with _____' side of youtube, the dealers of this drug are kids a lot younger than you and I. Big youtube "explorers" can essentially go and be a tourist, get their iphone out, do some no-dignity and elementary personality narrative, and 11-14 year olds will be fixated. Just one example out of thousands you could possibly refer to for your EPQ: a youtuber with a following goes to Chernobyl, gets their selfie stick out, does a "HEY GUYS. OK TODAY, IT'S WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, I'M PUTTING MY LIFE ON THE LINE, I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO GO INSIDE THE RADIOACTIVE ZONE", like thousands of people do on official tours every year, and there're dozens of thousands of 12 year old boys living in deep British suburbia who have never felt adrenaline in a slightly alien zone before are absolutely losing their shit watching it. The vlogger is then laughing all the way to the bank, and doesn't have to get up every day and work a 9-5. He repeats this process: the innovativeness of his content within the hobby of documenting abandoned places or passion for the romantic story and 'if walls could talk' factor whilst he is within these environments is utterly irrelevant to his modus operandi.
Then, you've got passionate explorers, who will, for example, spend several days trekking across a desert in Kazakhstan and risk arrest, for the memories, the thrill and passion of crossing a frontier into a sight very few people have laid their eyes upon. All such an experience doesn't go on youtube, or insta, or facebook, for the drug of attention, it goes to a personal diary, to their memory, to fuel an actual passion for disused and forgotten environments of the man-made material world. And I'd say they'd do the likes of it all over again for 100% adventure and passion, 0% attention and online following. Similarly, the dozens of Victorian-era County Asylums around Britain: were they all comprehensively documented by actual passionate explorers for facebook likes? Or for history's sake - to allow future generations to see the architectural details, decay process and the idiosyncrasies of a set of buildings integral to the story of healthcare in this country, and that no one will ever be able to lay eyes upon again? What do you think...
Most people you'll find on this site are actual fiends for abandoned places, whereas social media 'explorers' are much more like fiends for attention. We share it for documentation's sake, amongst like-minded people, to add to the rich tapestry of visual archiving of unique and forgotten man-made sites.
There's also the problem of, how we say in London, 'baiting out' places on youtube that were previously reserved for more intrepid and passionate explorers, that has already been discussed in this thread I believe. An example is one of my old favourite abandoned places: the Nestle Tower in the middle of Croydon. It haD a very indiscrete point of entry that would only really be sussed out by a savvy explorer passionate enough to be amidst the environment within, not just some kids trying to make shoddy vlogger content for Youtube moving in a cumbersome group. But, eventually, word spread of said entrance to some lil' vloggin brats. They went in, made a complete balls up of treading lightly, got caught by security, ratted the clandestine point of entrance, and that was game over for Nestle. Had probably seen 10+ refined explorer visits over the years, but only took one vlogger kid to fuck it all up. Amongst the general audience of such vloggers will also be rowdy raucous kids of the same age the likes of which I wouldn't personally want to tussle with, who will follow the way in to a given abandoned building broadcasted by the vlogger and proceed to vandalise it.
Insta seems to be to be more of a middle ground between the vlogger and the passionate explorer. I've never had an account, nor browse rooftoppers' pictures, so I don't have much authority to talk about the whole game on there. But it seems on face value anyway that rooftopping is the majority of the supply that supplies the drug of attention. Russian girls will be dangled off skyscrapers for selfies, for example, and tbh I have no idea whether they're in it for the thrill of being there or the thrill of the likes. Could be a mix.
That's all she wrote I think.
Good EPQ topic choice still, I remember doing mine and what a hoop-jumping exercise it was... There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

m9

big in japan
Regular User
My 2 cents;
I guess in simplest parallels, the youtube, insta and facebook exploring angle is essentially like learning the guitar in order to show off and gain a USP, whilst the exploring angle on here is more like learning the guitar to write your own songs in your own style to share on a cassette tape with your close circle.
It is pretty explainable: the entirety of the game on the big 3 social medias all comes down to generation X going to whatever lengths they can to get their next hit of today's youth's most sought after drug: attention. On youtube, and particularly the '_____explores, exploring with _____' side of youtube, the dealers of this drug are kids a lot younger than you and I. Big youtube "explorers" can essentially go and be a tourist, get their iphone out, do some no-dignity and elementary personality narrative, and 11-14 year olds will be fixated. Just one example out of thousands you could possibly refer to for your EPQ: a youtuber with a following goes to Chernobyl, gets their selfie stick out, does a "HEY GUYS. OK TODAY, IT'S WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, I'M PUTTING MY LIFE ON THE LINE, I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO GO INSIDE THE RADIOACTIVE ZONE", like thousands of people do on official tours every year, and there're dozens of thousands of 12 year old boys living in deep British suburbia who have never felt adrenaline in a slightly alien zone before are absolutely losing their shit watching it. The vlogger is then laughing all the way to the bank, and doesn't have to get up every day and work a 9-5. He repeats this process: the innovativeness of his content within the hobby of documenting abandoned places or passion for the romantic story and 'if walls could talk' factor whilst he is within these environments is utterly irrelevant to his modus operandi.
Then, you've got passionate explorers, who will, for example, spend several days trekking across a desert in Kazakhstan and risk arrest, for the memories, the thrill and passion of crossing a frontier into a sight very few people have laid their eyes upon. All such an experience doesn't go on youtube, or insta, or facebook, for the drug of attention, it goes to a personal diary, to their memory, to fuel an actual passion for disused and forgotten environments of the man-made material world. And I'd say they'd do the likes of it all over again for 100% adventure and passion, 0% attention and online following. Similarly, the dozens of Victorian-era County Asylums around Britain: were they all comprehensively documented by actual passionate explorers for facebook likes? Or for history's sake - to allow future generations to see the architectural details, decay process and the idiosyncrasies of a set of buildings integral to the story of healthcare in this country, and that no one will ever be able to lay eyes upon again? What do you think...
Most people you'll find on this site are actual fiends for abandoned places, whereas social media 'explorers' are much more like fiends for attention. We share it for documentation's sake, amongst like-minded people, to add to the rich tapestry of visual archiving of unique and forgotten man-made sites.
There's also the problem of, how we say in London, 'baiting out' places on youtube that were previously reserved for more intrepid and passionate explorers, that has already been discussed in this thread I believe. An example is one of my old favourite abandoned places: the Nestle Tower in the middle of Croydon. It haD a very indiscrete point of entry that would only really be sussed out by a savvy explorer passionate enough to be amidst the environment within, not just some kids trying to make shoddy vlogger content for Youtube moving in a cumbersome group. But, eventually, word spread of said entrance to some lil' vloggin brats. They went in, made a complete balls up of treading lightly, got caught by security, ratted the clandestine point of entrance, and that was game over for Nestle. Had probably seen 10+ refined explorer visits over the years, but only took one vlogger kid to fuck it all up. Amongst the general audience of such vloggers will also be rowdy raucous kids of the same age the likes of which I wouldn't personally want to tussle with, who will follow the way in to a given abandoned building broadcasted by the vlogger and proceed to vandalise it.
Insta seems to be to be more of a middle ground between the vlogger and the passionate explorer. I've never had an account, nor browse rooftoppers' pictures, so I don't have much authority to talk about the whole game on there. But it seems on face value anyway that rooftopping is the majority of the supply that supplies the drug of attention. Russian girls will be dangled off skyscrapers for selfies, for example, and tbh I have no idea whether they're in it for the thrill of being there or the thrill of the likes. Could be a mix.
That's all she wrote I think.
Good EPQ topic choice still, I remember doing mine and what a hoop-jumping exercise it was... There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Top summary.