real time web analytics
Report - - THE RAVEN INN -glazebury -march 2022 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - THE RAVEN INN -glazebury -march 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HISTORY- the raven is said to date back to 1562 and was part of the holcroft family estate , its name derives from the raven on the familt crest . in edwardian times a renewed interest in the historical building saw it covered in a mock tudor cladding to better reflect its antiquity !
Reverand whittenbury of newchurch repainted the pubs sign , how many pubs can say a vicar painted the pubs sign ? the original pub sign featured a raven clasping a dagger and was thought to date back to the civil war,,,but was found not to be the case and was actually an old family crest of the holcroft family who were long time land owners in the area.
During the civil war in the (1642-1651) scottish soldiers retreating from the battle of worcester found theyr,e line of retreat was barred by enemy soldier holding bridges across the river mersey , scots were forced to cross by ferries at hollins green and carried on through glazebury. a skirmish broke out as they passed the raven, up until the 1870s relics of the fighting were still being found by locals in the vicinity !
In the 1880s the road was widened outside the pub , in adjoining fields mass graves n rusted weapons were unearthed , mass burials of soldiers during the civil war was commonplace !
...in 2017 the RAVEN closed its doors to the public , in the short time it has been shut ...it has suffered internal damages due to the owner ripping out fixtures n fittings , recently travellers occupied the rear car park until being evicted , when they left !... so did the copper pipes !

THE EXPLORE- I visited early one morning after the travellers had left , if i hadn,t read about it in a local news item then i wouldn,t of investigated the site ! i don,t have much to say about this explore except i was surprised at the amount of damage inside !...as the outside looks lovely ! ...having sadly visited many empty pubs...this was just another one on my tick list .

As of writing this, i have just found out that local campaigners have saved the pub from demolition by property developers . 1000 people have pooled together and bought the pub at auction for £278,000 , just when i thought this pub was finished.....it rises once again !

PICS- As usual i was using my trusty sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens which tends to suck in a lot of light as i don,t like using a flash as it can draw attention as my fellow explorers know , i struggled with some of the pics in this pub due to poor light and using a torch as a substitute light source , plus i was using my heavy camera single handed at times ! ...well thanks for looking and i hope you enjoy the pics folks !
raven 17.JPG

raven 1.JPG

raven 3.JPG

raven 4.JPG

raven 5.JPG

raven 6.JPG

raven 7.JPG

raven 2.JPG

raven 8.JPG

raven 9.JPG

raven 10.JPG

raven 11.JPG

raven 12.JPG

raven 13.JPG

raven 14.JPG

raven 18.JPG

raven 19.JPG

raven 20.JPG

raven glazebury.jpg

oldiesDJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Always enjoy the explores in 28DL. I'm too old and knackered to do it meself now :-) Lovely old pub and I'm glad it's been granted a new lease of life. No need to excuse the pictures, they're fine! Not only am I interested in a bit of urbexing but I'm also into the paranormal from a sceptics viewpoint. It's a shame old buildings like this aren't really haunted...might scare away the scroats who go in and damage them!! Well done.

Who has read this thread (Total: 290) View details