Web
Analytics
Report - - The Red Hazels and stables (Liverpool, Dec, 2017) | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Red Hazels and stables (Liverpool, Dec, 2017)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A grade II listed house (1764) called The Red Hazels (53.425827, -2.824513).

History. Home to several wealthy families, then the C. F. Mott Teacher Training College which was subsequently taken over by Liverpool Poly which in turn became Liverpool John Moores University in the mid 80s. There are a series of planning applications for development into offices, and for demolition of the stables, which form a separate block nearby.

When I first came across this rather splendid-looking pile I assumed it was going to be a shell, although the roof had obviously been done fairly recently. In fact it turned out to be another stalled redevelopment, stripped, and with new joists in place but no flooring other than the original stone of the ground and first floor hallways. Visited with urbanchemist junior early in the morning. Interior pictures go from the basement up.

Front view.

Old photo taken from a similar position showing an extension on the right, now demolished.

Rear view showing Venetian-style windows.

Ground floor hall with new lintels rather spoiling the arches.

Sets of stairs at both ends of the central hall. One of the sets originally carried on to the upper floors, but is now truncated at the first.

Junior had had enough by this stage so I returned later to check out the stable block. This turned out to be an entertaining, albeit dangerous, obstacle course. Pictures go in order in which the rooms were visited.

The most interesting bit was the large central hall evidently used as a function room when the main building was a college.

Some 70’s goodness in the function room.

And on to the end.

View back to the main house.

Although there was not much in the way of content, both the main house and the stables were quite fun to clamber around in and explore.

Last edited: