real time web analytics
Report - - The rising sun bar/hotel, high peak, sep '18 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The rising sun bar/hotel, high peak, sep '18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Not much history on this place. It was built in the 1800's and had bits added on over the years.
Many years ago it used to be a nice place to go but a couple of bad tenants/owners saw it decline to a worthless ruin. The internet is strewn with terrible reviews for the place from it's food to the last owners screaming in the face of customers. Locally it had the privilege of being labelled the shit hole.
They tried the usual failing pub ideas, quiz nights, weekend functions, coffin dodger afternoons etc etc but you can't change locals opinion when it's decided the owners are aresoles and as the tourists are really only in great numbers for a few weeks each year it's the locals you need to be keeping happy.
There is now a new firm in charge of it and plans were submitted last year to tear it down and make a new big super hotel.
I've seen the plans for the place and it doesn't fit in with its surroundings, it's massive and with statements saying it will generate over 50 jobs, the two new guys (and I mean new, they've just started trading) are saying it will be a super hotel and seem to believe there won't be any local friction regarding such a monstrosity of a building. Needless to say i think the plans were rejected and nothing's happened. Their completion date is end of next year so they need to get a move on lol.

I've had my eye on this for a while but there's been a big white van at the back and lights on for months. I thought they were workers, on one visit I looked through the windows and it seemed at first they were workers renovating the place.
Sadly I think they were strippers and have destroyed the place somewhat whilst I've been watching them, if only I had realised and called the police, anyway it is what it is.
Coming back from Sheffield last week I noticed no van and the lights were off but that night I had definatley had enough but on the way back last night again I called in. I didn't even expect entry so i even cheekily parked right on the front just for a quick nosey lol.

Entry requires a certain amount of ingenuity as all access points are locked tight but there is a way in if you look around long enough.
Any toilets still intact seem to have a turd or some other bits in them and a room upstairs stinks of shit due to no water in the u bend and a rotting dump sat there.
The furniture is mostly gone, a few beds here and there left, some of the cupboards still filled with bedding or hotel consumables.
Downstairs the stainless steel kitchen has gone, and it looks like at some point they've tried to auction off some fixtures and fittings.
What I think is the cellar is screwed up and I couldn't find a screwdriver so that's for another day but a services room round the back is flooded so maybe it's under water hence it's screwed tight.

The good bits are the still (realativley) stocked bars, the old woodwork of the reception rooms and the staircase all which are seemingly original features.
A chilled mooch that I actually spent a few hours at, it's going to be pulled down at some point so I'm glad I eventually got in and for all intents and purposes I think im the first urbexer in which I never thought I would do on a site.
For some reason half my (phone) pictures are out of focus or shaky I was messing about with a gimbal earlier in the day so maybe I've got some dirt on the lens or somthing either way I've not managed to capture the place how I would have liked so I might try again at some point.
There is an owners accommodation flat at the end of the property which only has the outside door as means of access, inside its just empty damp rooms, I only took a couple pics and they might not make the report.
The outbuildings have countless belongings and packs of consumables, upstairs there's boxes of Christmas puddings, sponge fingers, coffee and other such things. The usual boxes of Christmas lights are scattered around along with all the keys for the rooms. The bedrooms are pretty empty, all have ensuite.
I hope the pictures aren't too bad, I need to get much better with my photography. Done with a phone and a torch, enjoy.

20180913_014511.jpg

20180913_014504.jpg

20180913_005507.jpg

20180913_004604.jpg

20180913_004554.jpg

20180913_004618.jpg

20180913_004645.jpg

20180913_004715.jpg

20180913_004729.jpg

20180913_004741.jpg

20180913_004755.jpg

20180913_004807.jpg

20180913_004824.jpg

20180913_004839.jpg

20180913_004915.jpg

20180913_004940.jpg

20180913_005007.jpg

20180913_005014.jpg

20180913_005049.jpg

20180913_005150.jpg

20180913_005218.jpg

20180913_005313.jpg

20180913_005338.jpg

20180913_005404.jpg

20180913_005321.jpg

20180913_005443.jpg

20180913_005209.jpg

20180913_005700.jpg

20180913_005648.jpg

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys. If I'm honest I expected more of an older feeling but I got the impression most of the features from back in the day have been modernised out.
I'm going to start teaching myself better photography skills ;)

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I contemplate the daylight verses night time issue quite often. I've done explores in the day and I agree the pictures are great but I'm really paranoid and self conscious so can't seem to relax during the day. At night I'm very careful where I shine my torch but of course it must still be noticeable.
I was considering making a thread contemplating time of day etc during explores but never got round to it.
The honest answer I think is that I'm really nervous going into places in the public eye during the day, I don't know why. I also like night exploring, I prefer the atmosphere.
That said I do fully see the merit in what you're saying, if someone is with me during the day I'm a lot more relaxed however I'm usually solo. Funnily enough, if someone is with me at night I'm less relaxed lol go figure.
I use my phone so I need to get a phone tripod or modify a holder to fit tripods I already have, I've just got a cheap gimble for it which I'm impressed with so if I start looking at camera settings as well there's no reason I shouldnt be able to improove on what I'm doing already.
Thanks for your advice.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
I contemplate the daylight verses night time issue quite often. I've done explores in the day and I agree the pictures are great but I'm really paranoid and self conscious so can't seem to relax during the day. At night I'm very careful where I shine my torch but of course it must still be noticeable.
I was considering making a thread contemplating time of day etc during explores but never got round to it.
The honest answer I think is that I'm really nervous going into places in the public eye during the day, I don't know why. I also like night exploring, I prefer the atmosphere.
That said I do fully see the merit in what you're saying, if someone is with me during the day I'm a lot more relaxed however I'm usually solo. Funnily enough, if someone is with me at night I'm less relaxed lol go figure.
I use my phone so I need to get a phone tripod or modify a holder to fit tripods I already have, I've just got a cheap gimble for it which I'm impressed with so if I start looking at camera settings as well there's no reason I shouldnt be able to improove on what I'm doing already.
Thanks for your advice.

That's fair enough. It's interesting how people are nervous in some situations and others in opposite situations - I'm not really keen on exploring on my own at night, but I know others like it, and a few people say they are more relaxed when exploring alone, whereas I'm definitely more relaxed with others around. I always think it will seem a bit more suspicious if I get caught somewhere at night.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
That's why I fancied making a thread for everyone's thoughts because on the flip side I feel I can quickly hide in the shadows at night and not get caught lol. I can see pros and cons for day and night exploring and as a solo or in groups.
I think it might come down to what you get used to.
I'm going to sort a tripod out either way lol.