real time web analytics
Report - - The Ritz nee ABC Cinema, Nuneaton. Feb 2019 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Ritz nee ABC Cinema, Nuneaton. Feb 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Ritz Cinema opened on 23rd July 1937 with James Melton in "Melody for Two" and James Dunn in "Mysterious Crossing", plus a live show on-stage. Located on the corner of Abbey Street and Newtown Road, it was built for, and was initially operated by the Union Cinemas circuit, but they were taken over in October 1937 by Associated British Cinemas(ABC).

The Ritz Cinema is an imposing building on an island site, with a brick exterior. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and balcony levels and there is some excellent detailed fibrous plasterwork. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Rank organ (with Melotone attachment) that had an illuminated console and was opened by Alex Taylor. The organ chambers were locacated above the proscenium, which had a decorative grille across the top. The cinema was re-furbished in the 1950’s and was re-named ABC from 13th November 1961.

Closed as the ABC on 29th October 1977 with "Exorist II", it was taken over by an independent operator the following day and re-named Ritz Cinema. The Ritz was twinned from 27th December 1979, with screen 1 using the balcony and front stalls area, and the 200 seat, screen 2 located in the former rear stalls under the balcony. In 1982, a small fire did damage to screen 2, but it was quickly repaired and re-opened.

The Ritz Cinema closed on 18th June 1984 and the building was sold to new owners. It was completely redecorated and refurbished and re-opened as the Ritz Bingo Club. Last operated as a Gala Bingo Club, it was closed in 2007, and remains empty and unused.

The building was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage in October 2008

I grew up in Nuneaton, and ever since I was a lad I've wanted to have a mooch in this building. My grandfather was actually a projectionist here in the mid 40's and was telling me only recently about switching on the spotlights to illuminate the organ just before a performance. I used to look up at the projection room balcony and long to have a look in the pigeon infested rooms.

My parents both attended the ABC Minor's Saturday morning shows in the 60's, which consisted of a cartoon, news reel, serial, and a film. My mother recalls that the stalls were a tanner, and the circle 9d. A zoom ice lolly was thruppence, but a FAB was more, so if she fancied a FAB then it had to be the stalls!

I first tried to go in here when it was still a GALA, however the manager took great delight in saying he had turned away many a person wishing to take photos. Small pleasures I guess... I did get inside post closure a few years ago but set the bells off after a few seconds inside, so made a hasty retreat.
2019 has already been great for exploring, and I must say I was quite thrilled to get the nod that it was doable for the moment.

Despite some damp it is actually in very good shape, however it's biggest issue is the town it is sat in. Nuneaton has never in my lifetime managed to preserve or restore anything at all, and I have watched several notable landmark buildings disappear over the years. Cinemas are notoriously hard to re-purpose, so I assume it will sit empty until it either burns down or becomes so disheveled and derelict that demolition is the only option. I'd love to be proved wrong there but 30 years of observation tells me I'm right!

I found the place an absolute bastard to light paint, so the pictures are not quite as perfect as I would have hoped, but I did my best.

_DSC5396.jpg

_DSC5405.jpg

_DSC5406.jpg

_DSC5408.jpg

_DSC5409.jpg

_DSC5414.jpg

_DSC5415.jpg

_DSC5416.jpg

_DSC5418.jpg

Finally made it onto the balcony! Note the "ABC" logo in the ironwork.
_DSC5420.jpg

_DSC5421.jpg

_DSC5428.jpg

_DSC5430.jpg

The ceiling in the foyer was actually very fine, and the original lights are still present.
_DSC5431.jpg

_DSC5435.jpg

_DSC5439.jpg

_DSC5442.jpg

_DSC5445.jpg

_DSC5447.jpg

_DSC5448.jpg

Last edited:

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Love the colours in this place, the main hall gives a quite similar feeling to the one in Southport, also you have done a great job on lighting the place up!

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I just can't get over this place, looks unreal with all those weird colours together, but yeah the way you've lit it up is just stunning, what a lovely explore and wouldn't it be great if it could be saved

myke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see original features still there. the colour scheme gives psychedelic a new meaning. love places like this cheers for sharing.

Who has read this thread (Total: 230) View details