real time web analytics
Report - - The river almond grotto 08/2020 Edinburgh | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The river almond grotto 08/2020 Edinburgh

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Williamclayton6

28DL Member
28DL Member
I stumbled across this website and at first I didn’t have a clue what to do but on a cycle Ride I stopped at a river beach and saw a ruin.

I had my camera on me so I went to explore the ruin was called a grotto and to get to it you have to crawl through a small hole about 60cm diameter to get to the building

When I came to the building I arrived at the east side and it just looked like a small brick box with an open gate.

A grotto is a man made cave that is a Private pool this grotto was part of the cammo estate near Barnton Edinburgh the grotto was built in 1757 by the watsons of saughton as a garden feature.

This is the empty plunge pool. the water would Flow into the pool From a rock channel and a soulless gate would lead to the water into the tenFrom a rock channel and a soulless gate would lead to the water into the chamber.

Most of the sulice gate was still intact

The water would then exit via a man-made channel back into the river.

The top floor now has no roof but it has the remains of what appeared to be a fireplace and also some trees growing up through the floor. It looks like it used to have three windows but only one is still intact. also sadly The local chavs have found this place and have sprayed it in graffiti.

because what I presume is the door to the staircase has been bricked over to get to the top floor you have to climb up the wall but that is not very hard as the bricks protrude massively to use as grips to climb on

i know this isn’t as Good as some Threads but I figured starting small is better than going big and making a fool of yourself

Who has read this thread (Total: 165) View details