real time web analytics
Report - - The ROC in the Isle of Wight - June 2018 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The ROC in the Isle of Wight - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Newport ROC Post 1st site
History

• Opened April 1961
  • Closed some time during or after April 1961
This particular site was built on land that belonged to the church and was done so without permission which wouldn't have been granted had permission been sought which resulted in the post being demolished shortly after closure. interestingly the WW2 aircraft observation post was built at the same site seemingly without a problem. The above ground post isn't extant today either.

my visit
attempting to reach this site was a nightmare, we entered the surrounding fields to reach the particular field the post was situated in and were quickly spotted by around 2 people at the farm house at the foot of the hill. seeing the resident running around in the direction of vehicles made us leave immediately. At this point we were seeking alternate routes one of which would have brought of through a traveller encampment which didn't seem the best idea so tried near a footpath with didn't work either due to still being in view of resident of the nearby farm house so had to settle on a far out view of the site.
34473948_2075551919432416_6231774976995753984_n.jpg

Newport ROC Post 2nd site
History

• Opened July 1962
  • Closed September 1991
My visit
Looking at this post on subbrit I had great expectations, it appeared to be open and in relatively good condition as shown in the images taken from subbrit below.
988303843.024002_Pic2_newp1.jpg

photo taken by mark Russell - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988303843.024002.html
988303843.024002_Pic7_newp9.jpg

photo taken by mark Russell - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988303843.024002.html

upon visiting this post it was a bit of a disappointment. The compound was heavily overgrown and a large bag full of what appears the be some sort of mortar or concrete has been placed over the hatch making in completely inaccessible. other surface feature in the compound were also very hard to find or distinguish.
20180530_171711.jpg

A now very overgrown compound
20180530_171404.jpg

A wooden pallet is distinguishable covering the bag full of concrete over the hatch

Seaview ROC Post
History

• Opened February 1962
  • Closed October 1968
very little on the history of this post is available other than its opening and closing date however being situated next to puckpool mortar battery may indicate the battery may have been used as the WW2 observation post due to its imposing view over the sea and the surrounding area.

My visit
The post has now been demolished and absolutely nothing remains of it. From subbrits indication of the posts location on this spot now stands a parking meter which interestingly is situated within a indent in the ground just to the side of where the battery starts which may show that the post was fully excavated and remove suggesting nothing is left even underground.
20180530_110248.jpg

Sandown ROC Post
History

• Opened April 1962
  • Closed October 1968
The first visit to this post by subbrit in 1999 showed the post as being painted bright yellow and being in a relatively good condition externally with the access shaft in fair condition, fsm pipe intact and the vent remaining although the louvres were missing as well as the bpi pipe and the gzi mounting plate. What appears to have been an instrument mounting stood just off to the side of the post which would appear to have been a remnant of the WW2 aircraft post showing that it was situated at the same site. Slightly further south of the post also stands a concrete base with several metal fixtures, this may have had links to the aircraft post however alternatively this could be linked to the mortar battery to the west of the post.

988303843.029002_Pic2_sandown2.jpg

photo taken by Nick Catford - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988303843.029002.html

My visit
Since subbrits 1999 visit to this post it has deteriorated badly. The FSM pipe , vent and concrete mounting post have all been removed leaving just the access shaft and unidentified concrete base. This is likely a result of the post being situated on a holiday park so potentially poses a heath and safety risk for holiday goers. more or less all yellow paint has disappeared from the access shaft exposing some of the original green ROC paint. Originally when subbrit visited the hatch could be opened but was difficult due to being attached to bricks however today it has been welded shut via a piece of metal which has been places through the locking bar fixture. internally nothing would seem to have changed, when subbrit visited the post was flooded almost to the roof of the monitoring room. Today the post is still flooded although looking through th hole which the t bar would have been used through the water level has risen within about 12 inches of the shaft.
IMG_20180530_201711_562.jpg

IMG_20180530_205357_136.jpg

The roc green paint has been gradually exposed.

Freshwater ROC Post
History

• Opened January 1959
  • Closed September 1991
My visit
This post is situated within the grounds of freshwater golf course and we certainly got some strange looks approaching and descending this one. The post and all its surface features are all in relatively good condition and weirdly set rather low in the ground with the hatch only being around 10 inches above ground level. It has a very imposing view over the sea and the needles making it a nice post to visit however the only real disappointment here was the fact it has been trashed internally since subbrits visit which was slightly saddening however there are definitely ones that are faring worse.
18927399_10158989129685107_554823141_o.jpg

1478131_cdcd0976649e9a0457dede65326926c9.jpg

poor photo however illustrates that the post has suffered from vandals
988303843.007001_Pic5_fresh4.jpg

the above image by nick catford from http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988303843.007001.html shows
how the post was before suffering rather extensive vandalism.

Niton ROC Post
History

• Opened May 1962
  • Closed September 1991
My visit
when this post was first visited by nick catford in 1999 it had been completely sealed with a concrete cap however after spending around an hour and a half trying to find it in the dense undergrowth after getting lost numerous times and even once ending up in a traveller camp it would appear that efforts to restore the post have been made with the concrete cap being completely removed and the hatch restored. to some extent. Externally due to the overgrowth the only other surface feature recognisable was the post gate. In terms of the interior it would appear to have suffered some moderate fire damage although not severe. strangely this post has a sink and tap so would appear to have been hooked up to the mains although its hard to tell if this still works as both taps have now seized.
988303843.025002_Pic1_niton.jpg

photo by nick catford - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988303843.025002.html showing the sealed
hatch

20170602_175053.jpg

the hatch was extremely heavy and hard to open however a string was tied to it to help lift it.
20170602_175044.jpg

blackening appears to show smoke damage which may be the reason it was sealed origionally
20170602_174921.jpg

the interior was in fair condition with some artifacts remaining although some were scattered outside the post
and much inside the post had been taken.
20170602_174854 (1).jpg

a non standard sink and tiled toilet …. odd
20170602_174856.jpg

a mirror was also installed with a water thing above it.

Last edited:

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
Nice one for visiting them all and sharing.. It's been a while since i've seen anything on our ROC posts.

Niton was very fire damaged when we first opened it and fitted a hatch, it took a lot of work to strip it back and just get it to the state it's in now. Unfortunately life got in the way and we didn't get any further. The vent still leaks so if you visit again if you can empty the sump that would be great!

It was an interesting post as they did lots of DIY with the sink being fitted (water was fed from the jerry can above the cupboard) and they made a false window complete with curtains.

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one for visiting them all and sharing.. It's been a while since i've seen anything on our ROC posts.

Niton was very fire damaged when we first opened it and fitted a hatch, it took a lot of work to strip it back and just get it to the state it's in now. Unfortunately life got in the way and we didn't get any further. The vent still leaks so if you visit again if you can empty the sump that would be great!

It was an interesting post as they did lots of DIY with the sink being fitted (water was fed from the jerry can above the cupboard) and they made a false window complete with curtains.

Hi thanks for the reply thanks for the little insight into niton I always find it interesting when the observers added their own features to these places. Also I take it you own the post that case , and I hope this isn't bad of me for asking but we have been extremely interesting in trying to find one to do some work on restoration wise as a project and i see you mentioned life got in the way of this one. do you think it may be possible to discuss this that would be great ,Im absolutely fascinated in these places and am currently a student so would be able to find time to help here.

thanks

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
No I don't own the post, it was very overgrown and we just kinda claimed it.. a bit of clandestine renovation. If you are keen to do it i'd just take it on and see what happens? I've got a few photos of the post when it was in use I can dig out when I've got some time..

I'd be up for doing a bit of work here and there and chucking a few quid at paint and bits to get it looking better.

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No I don't own the post, it was very overgrown and we just kinda claimed it.. a bit of clandestine renovation. If you are keen to do it i'd just take it on and see what happens? I've got a few photos of the post when it was in use I can dig out when I've got some time..

I'd be up for doing a bit of work here and there and chucking a few quid at paint and bits to get it looking better.

Ok well around july to august I would like to give it a shot. Also I'd love to see these pictures how did you get them