Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - The sale of former prisons in west and south England is agreed | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - The sale of former prisons in west and south England is agreed

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30596574

The sale of four former prison sites has been agreed, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has confirmed.

The sites at of Shepton Mallet, Gloucester, Portsmouth and Dorchester will be sold to City and Country.

The MoJ said the firm was working on "mixed used schemes", with assisted living units alongside retail and "social amenity" areas.

The sale of the four sites will be completed in February. The prisons closed as part of government cutbacks.

The price of the sale has not yet been disclosed.

Helen Moore, from London-based City and Country said they had bought "a very, very interesting portfolio of listed buildings".

She said a community consultation about the next steps for the four building would begin in the new year.

"That will be the same for each of the sites that we've acquired across the region."

Hugh Worsnip, from Gloucester Civic Trust, said he was "encouraged" by the "attitude" from City and Country.

But he said transforming Gloucester Prison, of which large parts are made up of listed buildings, would be a "daunting task".

"They will also have a great problem of disposing of over 100 bodies that are buried within the grounds of the prison," he said.

"We wouldn't want the whole thing into a hotel but mixed use and above all we want imagination and design flair to deal with this very difficult site."

Since Gloucester Prison was closed in March 2013, more than £230,000 has been spent on security at the building.

A further £23,000 was spent on maintenance while £17,000 was spent on electricity.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
well that's one step closer to a workman leaving a door open.

I took a look at Shepton Mallet a few days ago and it's a complete no-goer at the moment.

norfolkexplorer

av u seen my marbels
28DL Full Member
Blundeston closed, but it is still being used a scrap yard for all the other sites. CCTV Is still live and has plenty of regular patrol's etc :(

slayaaaa

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We keep checking Bullwood hall as it closed last year, but it's not looking so good at the moment. Regular patrols, untouched etc. Shame. Who would've thought getting into a prison would be hard? :rolleyes:

satimal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone actually done an explore like this before? I mean these prisons are in good condition and the current owners, whoever they are, seem to want to keep them that way. Good condition means razor wire, bars and high walls...

ukunknown

28DL Member
28DL Member
The main issue we are going to face is these buildings don't have keys its a someone has to be in to let you in. I know that Shepton has between 2 and 3 guards on at anyone time so I'm guessing other sites will too. Shepton has tallest walls in country so that's a bit crap but I can see a couple ways in if once contracts are swapped new owners want to get rid of security n board up. Getting in is easy part getting out not so sure lol

Speed

Got Epic?
Staff member
They have been done but it does require them to be somewhat neglected. Its the transitional periods where they essentially become construction sites that will probably yield the most results..

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
id be keen to visit the shepton prison if someone is going
Checked it out the other week. Impossible at the moment.

The main issue we are going to face is these buildings don't have keys its a someone has to be in to let you in. I know that Shepton has between 2 and 3 guards on at anyone time so I'm guessing other sites will too. Shepton has tallest walls in country so that's a bit crap but I can see a couple ways in if once contracts are swapped new owners want to get rid of security n board up. Getting in is easy part getting out not so sure lol
I couldn't see anyway of getting in, security or not. It's going be a tough phone, if it happens at all.

They have been done but it does require them to be somewhat neglected. Its the transitional periods where they essentially become construction sites that will probably yield the most results..
The most important thing is to keep on checking. One day something will change.