real time web analytics
Report - - The Slipper Baths, South Bristol - July 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Slipper Baths, South Bristol - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Difficult to find that much informaiton on the swimming baths themselves.. The South Bristol Swimming Baths were built around the 1930's and are of your typical victorian swimming baths design with ornate tilage everywhere and typical poolside cubicals.

It was more recently featured in a BBC Episode of 'Sherlock'

location-pool2.jpg

(Library Image)

The slipper baths had there own tiled corridor leading into steam room. To the right a corridor led to seperate male & female baths. These have remained untouched and pretty much unloved for over 50 years. The local community continue to use the baths and the 'friends of south bristol swimming pool' continue to campaign/support the full restoration of the baths and other facilities including the slipper baths.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Some more (i think) here.. http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/leisure/the-slipper-baths-bristol-south-swimming-baths-bristol

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
The pool is still in use...maybe I'm not being clear enough... This was the old slipper baths AT the South Brisrol swimming baths.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Why where there so many baths in the baths ?

Because these are the slipper baths. Maybe I've not written a clear enough description or people just aren't reading it!

Live swimming baths, this part derelict for 50 odd years...

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
The pool is still in use...maybe I'm not being clear enough... This was the old slipper baths AT the South Brisrol swimming baths.

That has just blown my mind.. I totally misunderstood it when I first saw :coat

Fair shout, good work mate.

OverArch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Why does one put slippers in a bath?

Slipper baths date from the times of public baths houses, they are just individual baths segregated for men and women. You'd have the swimming pool too. Hence the OP mentioned the pool is active but the slipper baths are derelict, as most people don't have swimming pools at home but have washing facilities.

If you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you wash your slippers in them though.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Slipper baths date from the times of public baths houses, they are just individual baths segregated for men and women. You'd have the swimming pool too. Hence the OP mentioned the pool is active but the slipper baths are derelict, as most people don't have swimming pools at home but have washing facilities.

If you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you wash your slippers in them though.

Thank you for putting it better than I could!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Interesting little find that. The first shots with the peeling ceiling is my favourite of the set.