real time web analytics
Report - - The State Cinema - Grays – Sept 2017 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The State Cinema - Grays – Sept 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
The History

Mostly Stolen/bastardised from @Supersonic

The State Cinema, located in Grays in Essex was designed by architect Frederick Chancellor and was originally to be named 'Roxy' but was opened under the name The State.

The building was classed as a Super cinema, it included a 2,200 seat auditorium, a bar and a restaurant. It was fully equipped with air conditioning and a beautiful Compton Organ that lifted up out of the stage.

The State cost £10,000 (£3-4 million pound in today's money) to build and opened on the 5th of September 1938. The first film to be shown was 'The Hurricane'.

The Compton organ inside could be raised out of the orchestra pit and could sit flush with the stage. This was one of a rough 500 that existed at the time of the state opening, now there are only a handful of these organs that are still in their original condition and in their original locations. Most cinemas during the 1920's and 30's had pipe organs installed, their main use was to provide music during silent film, at the start and end of films and also during the intervals.

During the 1980's the cinema was put in jeopardy, mostly due to the rise in multi-screen cinemas that were being built and the huge increase in video film rental and the cinema was threatened with closure. In 1985 after running it for 10 years ‘Mecca Leisure' decided to close down the cinema.

However just a year after the cinema closed, it was sold to Robins Cinemas and reopened as "The Grays State Theatre" Opening night offer tickets at a cost of just £1 to see the film 'Back to the future'. On the 5th of September 1988 the cinema held a showing of 'The Hurricane' to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the cinema.

The cinema ran up until 1989 when it was finally closed due to costs and lack of local support. The doors closed for the 2nd time on the 30th November 1989.

In the mid 80's The State was granted listed status to protect the art deco interior.

In January 1991 the cinema opened again but this time under the name of 'Charleston’s Nightspot'. This new lease of life showed the cinema as a trendy wine bar / night club. Some renovations were made but in a whole the state was kept unchanged. Charleston’s also put on evening concerts in the auditorium, some of the names that performed there include, Suzi Quattro & David Essex. After 7 years it closed again in 1998.

In February 2000, the listed status on the building was upgraded to Grade II listed.

Various plans have been made for The State including an application by the 'Peniel Pentecostal Church' for the building to be used as a church but it was dismissed.

Planning permission was approved for supermarket chain 'Morrison’s' to build a store on the states old car park; this was at a cost of £10 million pounds. As part of the deal Morrison’s, promised Thurrock Council that they would upkeep the now vacant State Cinema. In 2001 that there was water damage inside the main auditorium but the leak was sealed to prevent any further water ingress.

In 2003 another structural survey was carried out by the supermarket chain, this told a different story to the one a few years before. Although the main integrity of the building was secure there was a big issue with water ingress. This was later found out to be due to poor water drainage on the roof and also poor roof fixings. This ingress slowly ate away at the walls, starting a decaying process which couldn't be altered just by 'patching the roof up again'.

The building was sold in October 2006 to TSP Properties LTD for £550,000 (A Steal considering the Compton Organ is probably worth near that amount). TSP stated the cinema would never re-open under its built purpose but they would explore options to renovate and re-open The State as a leisure hub. TSP owned The Cinema up until 2015 when it was reported pub chain 'Weatherspoon’s' had bought the building with views of turning it into a Pub.

In 2011 the cinema was broken into and vandals took metal from inside the state. They also took some of the pipes from the organ. These pipes were located under the stage and have no significant value on their own without the organ. It's estimated it would cost around £10,000 for the pipes to be replaced.

The Explore

This one had been on the cards for a while. We had checked it and checked it and checked it.

Out with the usual Essex crowd we decided to have a butchers and noticed a potential way in. With a bit of a squeeze one of us was in and a fire door soon opened and away we went.

We at first avoided the dalek alarms until we noticed they were actually going off with the weakest of noise as the batteries were dying lol

We made our ways around the cinema from the bar, to the projection room and eventually the auditorium.

This place is great inside, a proper old school cinema that reminded me of being a kid again.

It’s a shame that the water had gotten to it and damaged it so badly. But if Weatherspoon’s stick to their plans for the place it should all be good again. Essex meet anyone?

Whilst mucking around on the stage we noticed the override mechanism and handle for the organ and wound it up out of the stage for a better look at it. It truly is an awesome sight and wasted sat there alone in the dark.

We have tried to have a revisit of this place but our original point of entrance is no longer viable. Gutting really as it would be nice to see again.

Enjoy the pics

The auditorium

50201904163_7b1dfcaae7_b.jpg

img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50202710752_1dddfe04de_b.jpg[/img]

50201903728_d8cffa1e24_b.jpg

The rare Compton organ

50202443166_758c180a7f_b.jpg

50201902288_a32f26c054_b.jpg

The bar area with its smaller Compton organ

50202709362_d58fa1a08d_b.jpg

50202443536_1bf5e9c7aa_b.jpg

50201903538_b8d4e7c73c_b.jpg

41220198970_b2cb18bd52_b.jpg

The projection room, still with its lovely Peerless projectors intact
42127942815_375fd112ae_b.jpg

50202708067_602e6dc860_b.jpg

50201901698_35ce4932c3_b.jpg

50202707582_3101caabc6_b.jpg

50202707222_7478e9c00a_b.jpg

50201900798_0257df00a9_b.jpg

50202440196_ca8ef38253_b.jpg

50202704522_d1660727bc_b.jpg

50202438836_76c13e75fe_b.jpg

50202438476_7c148ec9f7_b.jpg

50201896328_069398c410_b.jpg

50201895953_58171ac6a6_b.jpg

50201894763_2f606979b3_b.jpg

50201894473_f5ff6afc89_b.jpg

Last edited:

bollockmaster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame about the organ. It needs looking after, and the repairs required to make it playable again. I very much doubt wetherspoons would want to shell out for that. So perhaps it would be better to remove it to a venue where it would get the tlc it needs. Theres plenty of theatre organ preservation societies. The compton in the bar is a 'Melotone' electric organ, and i've never seen one in the flesh. I reckon that's even rarer than the big theatre organ. Compton theatre organs were state of the art at the time and on par if not better than any Wurlitzer, (british built too). :cool:

mockney reject

Staff member
Shame about the organ. It needs looking after, and the repairs required to make it playable again. I very much doubt wetherspoons would want to shell out for that. So perhaps it would be better to remove it to a venue where it would get the tlc it needs. Theres plenty of theatre organ preservation societies. The compton in the bar is a 'Melotone' electric organ, and i've never seen one in the flesh. I reckon that's even rarer than the big theatre organ. Compton theatre organs were state of the art at the time and on par if not better than any Wurlitzer, (british built too). :cool:

From what ive read and heard on the local grapevine the plan is to restore the organ to working condition again.

Worth going there once its open just to see it IMO

bollockmaster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great news, I would certainly make the trip down to see (and hear) it myself. Maybe they'd let me have a go? :cool: Played a wurlitzer and a christie, but never a compton.

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I read on the CTA facebook page that Peter Hammond is going to refurbish the organ for weatherspoons when they get everything sorted But sadly the peerless projectors will be left as they are as the projector room is going to be turned into a museum apparently There is talk of the occasional film being shown in there as well Sadly i don't really see the pub chain doing live music in the place other than the organ being played every now and then but we can only hope they do something brilliant with the place

mockney reject

Staff member
I read on the CTA facebook page that Peter Hammond is going to refurbish the organ for weatherspoons when they get everything sorted But sadly the peerless projectors will be left as they are as the projector room is going to be turned into a museum apparently There is talk of the occasional film being shown in there as well Sadly i don't really see the pub chain doing live music in the place other than the organ being played every now and then but we can only hope they do something brilliant with the place

I really hope that happens :)

I'm looking forward to my first pint in there when its converted

morph40

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,I use to go over to the state every month and see the organ play, fantastic instrument and yes it is going to be restored, but it recently suffered water damage when the pipe chambers filled with water, I have see some pictures of the damage and don't look to good,this is worse the the pipes being stolen as they can be replaced, but now is a complete strip down and rebuilt.

bollockmaster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,I use to go over to the state every month and see the organ play, fantastic instrument and yes it is going to be restored, but it recently suffered water damage when the pipe chambers filled with water, I have see some pictures of the damage and don't look to good,this is worse the the pipes being stolen as they can be replaced, but now is a complete strip down and rebuilt.
Oh no, that's terrible news. Softwood wind-chests don't respond well to water ingress. That'll probably write the organ off as they're a bloody nightmare to refurbish (and prohibitively expensive too). I refurbished an old direct action wind-chest once (only from a 6 stop choir organ) and it was a horrible job. If they ever do rebuild them it sounds like they need some kind of sump & pump flood protection system installing to stop it happening again. Curiously though, theatre organ chests are usually built on stilts so they're a foot or so off the floor (makes it easier to service the electric pallett valves) so it must've been pretty deep water to affect it so badly.

lottieoneilljourno

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Credit as in a suitable donation to the running of this forum?
We can give photo credit with names, copyright information and links to the forum, as well as information on what it is etc., but we don't have any budget for financial donations I am afraid. If you were happy with that, can always send me an email to the address above.
These are the type of things we do https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/essex-urban-explorer-reveals-what-2874800
I have been covering the State Cinema renovation, including the Wetherspoons plans and works. I then came across these forums and wanted to reach out to see if this was something we could also include,
Best
Lottie

Who has read this thread (Total: 228) View details