Report - - The Stocks Reservoir Railway - July 1977 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - The Stocks Reservoir Railway - July 1977


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To keep pace with a growing demand, the Fylde Water Board planned to build a reservoir on the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland. Land was aquired before the First World War and construction started in the 1920's, officially opened in 1932.
For moving men and materials, a 3 foot gauge railway was constructed between Tosside and the dam site above Slaidburn. This five mile long 'main line' threw off numerous branches to quarries and borrow pits, for fill, totalling another thirteen miles. Upon completion, the railway was dismantled and forgotten, but a chance pub conversation resulted in finding a branch that had not been lifted, 42 years after it was last used!
Please enjoy some railway decay.


A typical train


A quarry, similar to the one discovered



Remains of a crane



A point frog



Hanging rails


A gap too far!
Last edited:


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: The Socks Reservoir Railway - July 1977

If this is dated 1977 - does any of it remain today?
Here we read "In the 1980s however, the line was sold off and removed by scrap metal merchants. A short section near the quarry entrance was inaccessible because of erosion by a stream and so remains there to this day."

So, apart from the bits in the photos in the link above, there's nothing left.

Similar threads