real time web analytics
Report - - The Telmere Lodge, Chesterfield, Derbyshire – September 2019 | Leisure Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Telmere Lodge, Chesterfield, Derbyshire – September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Libbylemon

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all,
Strange to see this pub like this given how I remember it been open and full of life. I used to go their a lot in the early 2000,s. The pub opened in 1981 before it became a public house it was a large house built for the manger of Grassmoor Colliery which closed in 1950. The pub was first called ' The Lodge' later in the 1990's it was renamed ' ' Winsick Arms' it was kept by the Owen family they got priced out due to high rents and disagreements with the pubco. The pub closed for a long time . Then two local sisters reopened it and renamed the pub ' Telmere Lodge' then simply ' The Lodge' they struggled to make it pay and the pub closed in early 2017 . The site has been sold for housing though early this year travellers made it their home for a time.
The house was also known as Birchill lodge, my father lived there as a boy, his father was the director of Grassmoor colliery at the time. I have often tried to find where Birchill Lodge was on only just found out that it became a public house. Does anyone have any old photos of how it used to look as a house? It would be lovely to see where my dad grew up.

Cailaf

28DL Member
28DL Member
Myself and a few friends visited here, around the beginning of December. There are still ways in that are easy to spot, which was good as I’m no climber lol. Inside is extremely damaged now though, everything that could be broken has been. There has been a fire at some point as many parts of the building have smoke/fire damage also. I wouldn’t recommend going upstairs as alot of the floor is missing or broken, one slip and you would be falling through the roof.

I hope this helps anyone planning a future visit

Mr Wilks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is sad to see. We had my grandads wake in here around 10 years ago before it went all “cartoony“ and was more like a pub.

Who has read this thread (Total: 677) View details