real time web analytics
Report - - The Tinder Storm Drain, Happy Valley, Hong Kong, August 2018 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Tinder Storm Drain, Happy Valley, Hong Kong, August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
1. The History
Happy Valley is an upper-income residential , located in the Wan Chai district. Sometimes known as Wong Nai Chung Kuk meaning “yellow mud stream”, it is home to the Happy Valley Racecourse, Hong Kong Racing Museum and Hong Kong Sanatorium. In early 1840, the British Army set a military camp in the area although the camp was later closed due to the increasing number of soldiers succumbing to malaria. The death rate in the area and Victoria City was high in the early colonial days, and the valley became a burial ground for the dead. As a result, the valley was renamed as Happy Valley, a common euphemism for cemeteries. In 1846, the British felt that the valley terrain was ideal for horse-racing, and thus cleared the paddy fields and developed the Happy Valley Racecourse. Tragically on 26th February 1918, there was a fire in the racecourse that claimed at least 590 lives, caused by the collapse of a temporary grandstand, which knocked over food stalls and set bamboo matting ablaze. Death continued to be a theme synonymous with Happy valley in December 1941 when the Japanese Imperial Army entered the hill east of the valley and fought their way to Blue Pool Road where a number of large massacres occurred where civilians were bayoneted.

The low-lying Happy Valley area sees frequent flooding during heavy rains. The area particularly witnessed extreme flooding in April 2006, August 2006 and June 2008. Hence the Drainage Services Department (DSD) started the construction works for the Happy Valley Underground Storm-water Storage Scheme (HVUSSS) in September 2011. It involved the construction of an underground storm-water storage tank with a capacity of 60,000m³ beneath the Happy Valley Racecourse and sports facilities. The project involves the construction of the storm-water storage tank, an inlet structure, a twin cell box culvert and a movable crest overflow side weir system. Also included was the construction of a pump station with a capacity of 5,400m³ per hour.

The system was designed so that storm water during heavy rainfall enters the inlet structure it is channeled into the diversion culvert. Excess runoff from the culvert is then conveyed to the storage tank using a movable crest overflow side weir. Water from the storage tank is then be pumped and released back to the existing storm-water drainage system on ‘normal’ days.

2. The Explore
Second meet up with the good Dr Howser in HK over the summer. “How about a storm drain. The weather forecast is OK”. Me: “Erm, a storm drain in HK in the rainy season? Er, OK”. Can’t say I’d ever considered doing a storm drain in HK. But let’s give it a go. So off we set for Happy Valley on the MTR. Soon we are clambering over the railings and on into the entrance of the storm drain. We arouse the suspicion of a bloke on the street but he soon moves on. And in we go. A bit of balancing along a pipe and we're in and going deep below Happy Valley. Initially the water is clear but soon it becomes clear that a few properties above have rather naughtily tapped into this waterway and are using it as a covert sewerage outlet. Not ideal when you are in trainers. And as the water gets deeper the catfish appear. They are massive and start to splash as we move along the tunnel. It’s a bit disconcerting at first. Deeper and deeper we go. Then it gets quite a bit deeper and the tunnel wall is lined with cockroaches. That’s it for me. Tolerance zone reached. The Dr wants to push on and find the storage tank. So I wait as he disappears into the distance. I turn my torch off and with the Dr out of sight, it’s an unnerving feeling in the humid blackness. Within about 5 minutes the Dr is back. He’s got to the point where the storm drain meets the perimeter of the tank but there’s a steepish run-off and it’s really slippery so that's one for another day and when he’s got ropes. So we make our way back past all the catfish and toilet paper back to the entrance. Was a bit out of my comfort zone with this place but afterwards it felt good for giving it a go. We wash our trainers in the upper reaches of the storm drain where the water is a bit cleaner and the Dr saves the day by pulling out some Detol wet-wipes. Funny how no one wanted to sit next to us on the MTR on the way back ;-)

3. The Pictures
All taken on my phone. Didn’t fancy messing around with my SLR and tripod. In the end they came out OK.

Right at the start where the water runs down to the storm drain:

30808999348_19187a7e1a_b.jpg
Tinder drain 14 by HughieDW, on Flickr

And along the covered section:

43961279194_47551c91bf_b.jpg
Tinder drain 12 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Turn to the right:

29741976377_8aa44017d7_b.jpg
Tinder drain 11 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Down, down down we go…

42869955430_f23e0458c3_b.jpg
Tinder drain 10 by HughieDW, on Flickr

He’s the first of the many catfish:

43961371434_f63289de5b_b.jpg
Tinder drain 09 by HughieDW, on Flickr

42870053320_a2a0f933d9_b.jpg
Tinder drain 08 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Mmmm. This water isn’t looking so clean anymore;

29742203827_2eb16e298f_b.jpg
Tinder drain 07 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Another run off that joins from the side:

29742248297_2448cd66a1_b.jpg
Tinder drain 06 by HughieDW, on Flickr

42870151090_ec0778dd12_b.jpg
Tinder drain 05 by HughieDW, on Flickr

And it gets a bit lower here:

42870186720_038ae0a173_b.jpg
Tinder drain 04 by HughieDW, on Flickr

The Dr heads off here:

43961561984_d415e76a95_b.jpg
Tinder drain 02 by HughieDW, on Flickr

And he’s gone.

Five minutes later and he’s back.

29742342907_7b9df551c3_b.jpg
Tinder drain 03 by HughieDW, on Flickr

And we make our way back:

30809031848_c26b0eba9e_b.jpg
Tinder drain 13 by HughieDW, on Flickr

Last edited:

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Ha, sorry again for inflicting that on you! The bits I had seen before gave no indication of the horror that followed..
I need to go and see if the last typhoon has cleared things out a bit!

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ha, sorry again for inflicting that on you! The bits I had seen before gave no indication of the horror that followed..
I need to go and see if the last typhoon has cleared things out a bit!

Ha ha...Not at all mate. Was character-building! Hope you manage to crack the tank soon...

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice mix of styles, looks very old in parts, but pollution from the sewers into the culverts/drains has always been a big problem there. Did you get to see the new (was being built/finished when I left!) storm tank at happy valley?

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice mix of styles, looks very old in parts, but pollution from the sewers into the culverts/drains has always been a big problem there. Did you get to see the new (was being built/finished when I left!) storm tank at happy valley?

The Dr pushed on a bit further than I did and got to the point where the storm drain met the tank but there was a run-off that was very slippery and at a bit of an incline so it may have been a case of being able to get down but not get back up so he wisely came back...

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not one of the colonial brit types (and there are lots of those in hong kong still), but I do wonder how much of this construction was carried out by the british in the past, I am guessing the older parts. I should have communicated by PM, so I apologize for that.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
It’ll almost definitely be colonial, before the army set up there in the 1840’s Happy Valley was basically a swamp.
The sections with the big block sides and concrete roof would have been the open nullah that ran round the racecourse, so I reckon 1846 for that bit!
I’ll have a look for some photos and info after work.

The storm tank is very much a work in progress too, my partner in drains has just come back to HK in time for dry season..