real time web analytics
Report - - The "Unexplored" Western Heights, Dover- June 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The "Unexplored" Western Heights, Dover- June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ExplorerCouple101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, this location has been explored by many. Its metaphorical, due to being very overgrown and not in the public eye- advertised by English Hertiage ownership.

This fort is one of many forts across Britian that was built between the 18th and 19th century. The Western Heights, specifically, was completed in the 1860s. The main purpose of this was to protect Dover from French Invasion. The army kept the fort occupied untill sometime between 1956 and 1961. Now a local nature reserve.

This fort was given planning permsiion in 1779, when Lieutenant Colonel William Twiss was instructed to modernise the current defenses. This was because of the Armada. Armada was a French-Spanish naval partnership that was created to divert British Military from their war theatres. This occured during the American Revolutionary War. The orginal plan was to seize the Isle of Wight. However, this never happened due to not having enough material.

The Citadel is part of the site. Orginally a large bastioned fieldworld, with many guard houses. In 1804 there was plans to rebuild the Citadel and Drop Redoubt and link to the West Heights. However by 1806, the Citadel was sunken and a pumphouse was added, eventually in 1860, despite the end of the Napoleionic Wars, the citadel was still unfinished. Work continited at the start of the Crimean War, 1853. During this time, barracks were introduced to accomodate around 500 men. In 1860, a drawbridge and tunnel was added.

By 1902, the massive and heavy guns were removed from the fort. During World War I, the fort has searchlights introduced, run by Dover's Anti- Aircraft Corps. In November 1917 a German U- Boat crew were hels prisioner here. However, between World War I and World War II, the fort was abanonded. During World War II, the Redoubt was used as a look- out post, due to being able to see far around the fort. In April 1942, this fort housed 100 Commandos and 60 Candian infantry, of whom invaded the shore if Hardelot, France- commanded by Lord Lovat. In 1945 the site was abanonded permanently.
Throughout the useful life of the Redoubt, 12 Smooth bore, 24 Pounder Guns and 2 Carrondaes were equipped here. Although not gaurentted at the same time.

The Citdael was finally given to HM Prison Service and was used a Youth Custody Centre and Young Offender Insitition. Today, rumors of it being used for the migrants. (Not sure how true that is. Although the site was defiently occupied).

The day of exploration was a nice, sunny day. We started off at the English Hertiage site- Western Heights. We then wondered around the outside of the fort, finding more and more blocked in tunnels. Then we decided to cross the road and go to the other half of the Western Heights and explore that site. Instantly found the metal frame drawbridge and a rope to lower ourselves down into the fort. Off we went. Very overgrown in some parts and never walked in others points. This whole explore was majority of the day. And most likely we could've spent more time there exploring. Next time, we go might grow a pair of balls to walk across the bridge. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Short Perspective.jpg
    Short Perspective.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 30

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I wouldn't call a walk around public footpaths an explore? But well done for going for a look around, unfortunately you won't find a way into Detached bastion at the moment as its been recently sealed and regularly checked. You could have tried Archcliffe galleries and cells close to where you started! Also its not worth the risk involved in crossing the metal beams, they lead to a very small disused curve which would link to the drawbridge at the rear of the north entrance, this was the original access road to the western heights before the current road was built.

ExplorerCouple101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't call a walk around public footpaths an explore? But well done for going for a look around, unfortunately you won't find a way into Detached bastion at the moment as its been recently sealed and regularly checked. You could have tried Archcliffe galleries and cells close to where you started! Also its not worth the risk involved in crossing the metal beams, they lead to a very small disused curve which would link to the drawbridge at the rear of the north entrance, this was the original access road to the western heights before the current road was built.

Ah okay. Might not risk it, next time I go. Where the drawbridge/ metal beams are, we had to use a rope to get into the explorered fort. (Could've climbed down the bank, but the rope seemed more fun). So I wouldn't say that part is a public footpath :) The part that is maintained of such by English Heritage is completly blocked in. However in the other part, there was parts where we could've got inside if we had the right resources.

Absolutely love Dover! Regards to this explore, there was defiently more we could've explored and more time we could've spent here.

Reactions: GG

Who has read this thread (Total: 173) View details