real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - The Urban Explorer Website - Blackpool Gazette | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News The Urban Explorer Website - Blackpool Gazette

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

whittyboy

another yorkshire folk
28DL Full Member
]i always find this sort of thing interesting i am sure if you used one of there photos from there paper and used it to whatever degree without their permission then they would not be happy and they would want action taken. send em the bill mate:popcorn

Photography and copyright fact sheet

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
"because the picture are housed on the public domain - i.e. posted on the forum, they can take them as they are on the public domain"

That is an unadulterated, A-grade pile of organic top-notch horse shit. You retain copyright to your images under all circumstances. Read this guide to UK copyright: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-essential.pdf

In particular page 13, "Assignment" and "Licence", and page 14, "Waive their rights". You've done none of these, hyperlink from 28DL or not.

I am not a UK copyright lawyer, but as I understand it, there are a few exceptions to UK copyright law, including fair use and education, and re-use of an image is neither - regardless of how you have shared it in the past.

In retrospect it _would_ have been helpful if you had explicitly mentioned what sort of copyright you host your images on urbandegeneration.com - but you have the notice "All content © Copyright 2011" and that is _more_ than enough (you don't even need to state that they are copyrighted, that comes per default.)

Send an invoice and if they don't pay, take the fuckers to court. There is plenty of precedent.

Actually, this seems to be happening pretty often - I couldn't find a definitive "image copyright" sticky anywhere (just a "getting payment" one in the photography forum)

mrbilbs

28DL Member
28DL Member
I have worked in marketing for years. Get the invoice in! You have not giiven permission for the paper to use them - on the forum site you have given permission. I would tell them this.

Charge em £250 per image at leat for a one year usage licence. Then write to them next year (if they pay) to see if they want to renew!

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Zero, I've just posted invoices to the Lancashire Telegraph, I'll let you know how I get on and what is said/done.

So far I've emailed the pictures editor and pointed out that the picture is mine along with a link to the article and the thread with the picture.

I've had no response from him in two days, so I've printed the email and written an invoice for "single use only" which I've posted recorded to him and "The Editor" (two copies)
I've also advised them that any further unauthorised use of my images will cost them £1000 per use. :D

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Zero, I've just posted invoices to the Lancashire Telegraph, I'll let you know how I get on and what is said/done.

So far I've emailed the pictures editor and pointed out that the picture is mine along with a link to the article and the thread with the picture.

I've had no response from him in two days, so I've printed the email and written an invoice for "single use only" which I've posted recorded to him and "The Editor" (two copies)
I've also advised them that any further unauthorised use of my images will cost them £1000 per use. :D

Cheers DrH,

I have printed off a copy of the Intellectual Property Office Copyright essential reading document, so i will take some quotes from there and probably draft an email to them tonight to send tomorrow.

Out of interest - what did did you charge them for the pics?

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Oh FFS! What is it with journos. I'm blame The Murkalator for making into the national papers :D

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
I have worked in marketing for years. Get the invoice in! You have not giiven permission for the paper to use them - on the forum site you have given permission. I would tell them this.

Charge em £250 per image at leat for a one year usage licence. Then write to them next year (if they pay) to see if they want to renew!

£250 :rolleyes:

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
What a load of tosh!

Glamorising images? What like... "The move comes after The Gazette revealed shocking images of dilapidated buildings at risk of collapse at the former Fylde Farm site earlier this year."

Not blaming themselves then?

"I don’t know how we can stop these websites from glamorising locations such as Fylde Farm."

Or how we can stop ourselves from glamorising locations by stealing images to print in our paper and make a big fuss about?

Status
Not open for further replies.