real time web analytics
Report - - The 'Works' Drain & 'Inhospitable', Manchester - March 2010 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The 'Works' Drain & 'Inhospitable', Manchester - March 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Visited by Ojay, Gone, Jim Gillette & Urban Soldier - Good Times...

Been trying to get around to see this for some time now, and it was by chance that we did late one Sunday night in March.

After deliberating what to do next after mooching around town we decided on some Drainor action 'Works' it is then...

5 lads wadering up in the Ghetto late at night must have been a sight for the locals, anyway within minutes we were all wadering up the Moston Brook which was fairly fast flowing and quite unexpectedly deep in parts. After a short wade across we reached the outfall of the
'Works' It's a cool Dressed Stone and Brick RCP number, and as you get closer becomes increasingly harder to move as you begin to sink into silted up SHITE! (lovely)

_1012350.jpg

Having climbed inside we were greeted with several rats making their 'Great Escape' as Gone and Jim flashed the head torches about.

The condition of this brick RCP was truly amazing as I believe this place is over 110 years old!

_1012347.jpg

After a long rocky ankle breaking mooch (Hence the name - 'The Works') the levels started getting deeper, we were now at above knee height walking through this lovely 'Soup of Shite. Jim was somewhere in the distance avoiding rats and inspecting some turds to keep him busy LOL. I tried not to look too hard at what I was walking in as it was mental.

Eventually the levels dropped and became a lot shallower, around 5 inches at this point, we then arrived at this cool intersection, with one
bricked up RCP to the left and the RCP to the right carrying on from here. This section of RCP was covered in Iron-Oxide deposits and orange murky water.

_1012342.jpg

_1012346.jpg

Iron-Oxide Deposits.

_1012333.jpg

Just ahead the tunnel came to an abrupt end with these giant steps (around 13 or 14) and were 1 foot high and approx 2 foot deep.

_1012329.jpg

Looking Back Down From The Top Of The Steps.

_1012323.jpg

Onwards and upwards we were now close to the 'Works' Chamber and you could hear the flow. At the top of the giant stairs were 2 smaller

RCP's, these provided the 'Soup of shite' into the section below, you can even see the stuff swirling around in one of the photos.

_1012326.jpg

_1012306.jpg

Just to the left were some smaller but steeper steps that led upto the Chamber above.

_1012327.jpg

Looking Down into the 'Soup Of Shite'.

_1012302.jpg

At the top was Manhole access that went on forever and easily over 30' to the top. I would be interested to know where this was so I can have another look at the chamber some day without wadering up.

Once up the stairs we were now in the main chamber within the 'Works' which actually is section of the Moston Brook culverted through known as 'Inhospitable' which flows through the main chamber. It was reasonably fast flowing but surprisingly clean and turd free, there is some 'sewer fresh' evident as another CSO flows into it further upstream.

_1012312.jpg

'Inhospitable' Looking Upstream.

_1012314.jpg

P37 - Penstock.

_1012279.jpg

At the opposite end there is a rusty bridge which allows you to get to the other side and passes directly in front of the Penstock.

_1012278.jpg

The manhole shaft also provided access to the Penstock controls in a side room about halfway up. From here the Penstock can be closed to divert the flow from 'Inhospitable' through into the 'Works' drain.

_1012293.jpg

Through to Penstock Control Room.

_1012296.jpg

Penstock Controls.

_1012290.jpg

_1012294.jpg

Anyway all in all a good mooch and we had a good laugh as well, Jim even managed to get out alive without being eaten by killer rats!..... PURE WIN :thumb