real time web analytics
Report - - The Works Drain – Manchester – September 2007 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Works Drain – Manchester – September 2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Where the hell has 13 years gone?

With things as they are at the moment, exploring has obviously had to be put on hold. The wonderful weather over the last couple of months has just rubbed salt into the wound as it would have allowed much draining to have been done, but that’s just sod’s law for you!

With time on my hands, I decided to look back though all the drains I have explored and reminisce. Over the years, I have met some great people, had some cracking explores, attended some legendary gatherings and made a number of friends. This would never have happened had I not somehow stumbled upon websites and reports from Siologen, Otter, JD & Stoop plus a few others.
I was absolutely fascinated by their photographs, so much so that I decided I really wanted to see these places first hand and experience the sounds, smells and atmosphere that can only be achieved by actually being there.

While leafing through my old reports, I naturally came to the very first one that I did, the Works drain which I realised was no longer on 28DL as I imagine all the links to the photobucket album broke years ago.

Anyway, armed with just a 3 megapixel camera bought in 2001 and sporting a pair of old trainers I set off with a friend to see what these places were really like. The following photos are of course appalling, but we all have to start somewhere!
After doing this drain, I was instantly hooked and had already made up my mind that I wanted to see more of what Manchester had to offer and perhaps what also lay below other cities. I’ve never looked back and can only hope that the next 13 years will be just as much fun.

The following text is as written back in 2007, enjoy the terrible photos:

“My first drain explore but certainly not the last!

I’ve become more and more interested in exploring drains in the last few months after seeing what wonders lay beneath the ground thanks to the efforts of some very busy people on this site and elsewhere.

So on Saturday 15th September, a friend and I decided to explore ‘The Works’. We waded across the river in trainers with the old trousers rolled up. The water was not really that deep and came no higher than our knees. The worst part was getting through the stinky thick mud just outside the outfall.

The outfall itself was very impressive with ornate stone as the finish. Once inside the tunnel begins to take a turn to the right. Something immediately noticeable is the fantastic condition that the two tone red and blue brickwork is in considering that it is about 110 years old.

The water level here was only 3 inches deep which made progress very easy.
The tunnel now took a left and shortly after that snaked to the right again.
Shortly after that there is a manhole shaft to the left hand side of the tunnel. The shaft appeared about 10 meters up to ground level.

Soon after this the tunnel floor was increasingly covered with bricks and rubble in amongst which was this micro-machine car that was wedged between two rocks. The rubble continued for a bit and then the water got much deeper due to being built up behind it. The water here was a bit scummy and about 2 feet deep. Getting through that was a bit of a pain as there was the occasional rock or brick at the bottom trying to trip you up!

During the deep section the tunnel became lined with concrete and a small lower section was made from iron. Finally the water became shallow and up ahead was this interesting junction.
The left hand side was bricked up and looked like it might never have actually been used, although it would be nice to know if it did originally lead anywhere.

Moving on, the tunnel became covered in nice iron oxide deposits and the rusty water got a bit muddy. To the right a jet of water squirted from the tunnel wall.

Straight ahead the tunnel ended in a huge staircase containing about 12 stairs which were about 18 inches high and 3 feet deep. The stairs were heavily encrusted with calcium carbonate deposits and the ceiling above had a number of stalactites

At the top was a huge chamber filled with the sound of rushing water, immediately ahead there were 2 small tunnels and to the left was another staircase with very steep steps. At the top of the steps was a shaft to a manhole about 15 metres up.

To the right was a full view of the room which another drain called Inhospitable flowed through. The water in this drain was slightly turdy and relatively fast flowing. A rusty bridge is provided to cross to the other side of the room. As you can see there were nice and relatively modern stainless steel handrails provided in this chamber.
As could be seen from the debris wrapped around things, the water at some point gets very high!

It is in this room that a gate can be closed to divert the flow through the works drain. This would be a manual operation as we soon found out that the manhole shaft contained a side tunnel above this room which housed the gear that appeared to require the strength of 2 people to operate the gate below.

I climbed the manhole shaft to the top in the hope that I might get the cover open but no such luck. The cover was about 2 inches thick and jammed solid – it would have been nice to know just where this was located above ground.

From here the return journey to the outfall was much quicker than the entry as we knew what to expect.

So all in all it was an excellent explore that’s given me a taste for more – so to speak”.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Haha that's brilliant mate - flashtastic! Back in 'the culvert days' where you only needed grubby trainers, a shit torch, a digital camera with a flash and bags of psych :thumb

KCM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Enjoyed this report. Seems a nice explore for anyone wishing to know what is under our feet. Like the respect you gave to others. But you are legend yourself now. Well done..

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Thanks, I'm glad that people enjoyed seeing this despite the awful photos.
Hopefully before too long things will return a bit closer to normality and the exploring can begin again. :D

EleanorJ

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is a really good find! I live near Manchester so would love to check this out at some point! Where abouts is it?

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice that !
Wonder how long it will be before people are donning the waders and "smelling the magic" again???????
Nice penstock that P37............I've not seen it in the fresh before but its very photogenic !!!!

correction "in the flesh" I meant

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
I remember the first time i saw that outfall in 2004. One look was all it took, to get me to move from Edinburgh to Manchester.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I remember the first time i saw that outfall in 2004. One look was all it took, to get me to move from Edinburgh to Manchester.

I don't blame you, that's a pretty good reason given all the other wonderful drains Manchester has to offer.
The irony for me is that I lived in MCR for a few years back in the mid nineties, but that was of course before I had considered that drains of this diameter existed and were so easily accessible.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is that the revered, The Vicar himself, the one on the canadian urbex boards? Who knew you had lived there in the days of Madchester and the Hacienda mate, I do hope you are in a locale that is less prone to rainfall, but has equally good drains however mate.

PB.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I rarely look on the Canadian site now, at one one point it used to be a hive of activity and the place for all kinds of draining action.
I live in the south now where rain is less prevalent than Manchester but my heart is still in the North. Some of the best nights out in my life were in Manchester; the closure of the Hacienda was a tragedy. The sessions at places such as Bowlers, Sankeys Soap, Jilly's etc. are still missed even today.

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details