real time web analytics
Report - - The Works, Manchester - June 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Works, Manchester - June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Works is a storm overflow for the Moston Brook, allowing excess storm water to divert to the River Irk further upstream than the point at which both watercourses meet. The air at the outfall was clean but misty.

199e71.jpg

476948.jpg

The misty air prevented me from being able to see further than a few metres, this was probably due to the outside temperature being around 23°C. The wide, brick tunnel continues on for some distance, the water reaching knee-level in some parts. Eventually the tunnel forks into 2 branches, at a spacious brick area complete with chandelier. The left-hand tunnel is bricked up just a couple of metres in.

7becd8.jpg

109b146.jpg

The drain fairy.

13d17e2.jpg

A few metres into the right-hand tunnel is the beginning of a staircase.

223a6ca.jpg

25573e2.jpg

At the top of the staircase are 2 small RBP's which provide an outlet from the other side of the overflow above.

28494f1.jpg

Another staircase on the left takes us to the overflow chamber. The doorway at the top of the staircase gives access to a shaft with step-irons, leading to a passage to a small room containing the penstock control, and also to a manhole further up.

3129c04.jpg

The overflow chamber contains a huge penstock.

34ed904.jpg

37f9a33.jpg

40bf29a.jpg

4386d8a.jpg

The Moston Brook.

523953d.jpg

The manual penstock control in a small room above.

46734a5.jpg

49f3bf0.jpg

From here I made my way upstream through the culverted Moston Brook, exiting at the infall.

55cce8e.jpg

58b62b3.jpg

Last edited:

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
One of my favourite drains!

It's been a while since I last visited it, I wonder who put the chandelier there?

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is raw sewage still spewing in after the infall of the moston brook, upstream of the works chamber?

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh I know of that one. EA got on their back. I meant one further up, not near the outfall, but the infall, just down from processor, as you head into the culvert that then becomes the works. Think siolo once mentioned there was some pollution there?

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh I know of that one. EA got on their back. I meant one further up, not near the outfall, but the infall, just down from processor, as you head into the culvert that then becomes the works. Think siolo once mentioned there was some pollution there?
It all seemed pretty clean when I was there. I know which CSO you mean, there was no discharge from it.