real time web analytics
Report - - The Wormhole Caves, New Brighton 2018 | Underground Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Wormhole Caves, New Brighton 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The tunnel is approx 8ft high with a beautiful vaulted ceiling (similar to the Cavern Club over the water from us). It is approx 6ft wide and runs approx 30ft.
it has been bricked-up at both ends, but does run underneath both of the neighbouring cottages.

Man Id been "unbricking" that for sure, do u know where it potentially goes or what it was for?
Or is it just a glorified row of cellars?

BigGiant

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
isit a smugglers tunnel or a priest hole ?
That my friend is a very good question. It's not a tunnel like the wormhole caves (carved out of sandstone). The vaulted ceiling give it the feeling of a priest hole. I'm not sure if you are familiar with New Brighton, but we live over the road from New Brighton Battery. The entrance to our cottage is up a narrow path, and along this path (next to our garden) is 5 narrow sheds. It's stated on a website called 'History of Wallasey' that these sheds used to be Officer's Toilets from The Battery. I suspect that before being bricked-up, the tunnel may have led to The Battery? The area we live (Magazine Brow) is famous for it's history of Smuggling, and not too far along the promenade was a famous house called Mother Redcaps that was a known Smuggling Den.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
The tunnel is approx 8ft high with a beautiful vaulted ceiling (similar to the Cavern Club over the water from us). It is approx 6ft wide and runs approx 30ft.
it has been bricked-up at both ends, but does run underneath both of the neighbouring cottages.

Should be pretty easy to work out where they come out if its only 30 feet long.

Oswaldo Mobray

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow! That's substantial, I can picture it. Any ideas on what your next step is? You need any help in any capacity. I'm game to help

Oswaldo Mobray

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That my friend is a very good question. It's not a tunnel like the wormhole caves (carved out of sandstone). The vaulted ceiling give it the feeling of a priest hole. I'm not sure if you are familiar with New Brighton, but we live over the road from New Brighton Battery. The entrance to our cottage is up a narrow path, and along this path (next to our garden) is 5 narrow sheds. It's stated on a website called 'History of Wallasey' that these sheds used to be Officer's Toilets from The Battery. I suspect that before being bricked-up, the tunnel may have led to The Battery? The area we live (Magazine Brow) is famous for it's history of Smuggling, and not too far along the promenade was a famous house called Mother Redcaps that was a known Smuggling Den.
Good stuff, always gets me when different histories overlap, and by God does the Wirral hold some history. Super interesting, keep on posting

Oswaldo Mobray

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does the bricking up look "fresher" than the rest of the brickwork or just similarly structural? I say go for it but you don't want to subside someone's house haha! Soz to go on but finding this is super super interesting. I have a couple of mates who work in construction, just putting it out there

cliston

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey @BigGiant

Im not far from you at all, I live in Lyndhurst Road and have a huge interest in anything relating to the smugglers caves and priest holes of Wirral (Id do anything to get into the caves underneath Rock Villa but i don't feel that there's any way anymore sadly and its not looking like the owner is opening up anytime soon)

Obviously this amazing find is all yours, and amazing its only been you down there for so long. But if you ever decide you'd be willing to let people in to have a look or would like to open this brick wall up (carefully obviously) then id love to give you a hand. I probably walk past your place often as I'm down there walking with my girls.

Keep safe in these weird covid times mate :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 493) View details