real time web analytics
Report - - Theater Royal Hyde - May 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Theater Royal Hyde - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I am just going through a backlog of unifinish projects that need finishing and this is one of those projects. But, I doubt it will ever get finished now, since the theatre has been converted to a mosque. So may as well wang up a report...

Le Debut

Hyde 2.png

Backstory
I visited here with @albino-jay but our plans to visit here spanned the centuries (well, maybe six months or so before we got in). Enticed by the promise of projectors we were getting in at some point, there were no doubts about that. We'd checked it out a couple of times and found a potential way in. But then one day things changed and it all looked very promising, but not as we had been planning...

Pretty sure Albino messaged me and said he'd seen scaffolding all up around the theatre, so we rocked up on a bank holiday Monday to check it out. We got up fairly early. Earlier, it happens, that eastern europeans start working on converting theaters into mosques on a bank holiday Monday. We had a shufty about and flew up the scaffold to the roof. We didn't fly. If we did, we wouldn't need scaffold. It's a figure of speech.

Happily for us there was a hatch on the ceiling as there so often is on old theatres and it was open, so we popped inside for a mooch. Depending on what way you look at this, we'd either timed it perfectly or badly, because just as we dropped into the upper echelons of the theater, the work crew turned up to carry on with the conversion. We could hear them working away downstairs, so we made our way around like invisible ninjas (we weren't invisible - we were clocked several times by the workers, they just thought we were meant to be there at first) taking photos of the best bits.

Histories
Designed by architects Campbell and Horsley, the theatre, built in 1902, is Edwardian and is built in decorative terracotta and has a richly decorated auditorium. It was closed as a cinema in 1992 and was possibly going to be knocked down in 2000 for a housing development. The theatre was purchased by the Hyde Islamic Resource Centre in 2016, despite objections from a local group and the theatres trust, who campaigned unsuccessfully against a change in use. Most recently (October 2020 - last month) the theatres trust lost another objection for alterations to the exterior and interior to transform the theatre into a cultural centre.

The Photos

hyde 1.png

Projectors - completed it mate.

Hyde 3.png

hyde 4.png

Hyde 5.png

Erm, gas lamps?

Hyde 6.png

The bar. Edwardians were partial to black currant cordial.

Hyde 7.png

Hyde 8.png

La Fin
We didn't get to cover the lowest levels, because when the builders figured out we weren't meant to be there, they kicked us out. However, we got to cover the main parts and the projectors.

It was somewhere we meant to go back to and did try once or twice, but on those occasions, even though it was shortly after these images were taken, it was in use as a mosque.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Glad we got in when we did even if it did mean me getting it in the neck having a baby a few days old at home. Does this mean le robernaut will be back soon?

Reactions: EOA

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Still got some fantastic shots off. The projectors are mint. Liking this. You probably got the best bits :thumb

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. There are two projector rooms one for the old cinema too , it may have already gone. This was such a stunning place.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the comments :)

@albino-jay - yeah dude - definitely getting some more stuff done and might even wang the odd report up :)

@monk - from my research (consulted the latest edition of the Official Holmes Book of Exploring Artefacts) - these are Edwardian gas lamps, used in theatres... not to be confused with solar gas lamps from the war-era that were used in air raid shelters.

@host - yeah! That’s why it ended up in my to complete pile and why me and Jay tried again but unsuccessfully - shame really but at least we got to see some of it and I think we were quite lucky for that!

@Wevsky - haha - cheers dude, I may just do that ;)

Who has read this thread (Total: 194) View details