real time web analytics
Report - - Theatre Royal, Hyde - March 2016 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Theatre Royal, Hyde - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Built in 1902 the now disused Theatre Royale located on Corporation Street, Hyde, Manchester has a nicely preserved auditorium and an excellent projection booth full of 3 large projectors. The building opened as a Theatre in 1902 with a seating capacity of 1000 and briefly operated as a Cinema in 1914 when its name changed to New Royal Cinema. This was, however, short-lived and the name reverted back to Theatre Royal as pantomimes became the regular performance of choice. In 1950 the building was used as a repertory theatre for two years before reverting back to a Cinema use with only the occasional Christmas pantomime being performed. The last formal theatre performance took place in 1972 after which time the building was used completely as a Cinema until its closure in 1992. Demolition consent was obtained in 1999 with plans to redevelop the site for housing however, the building was spot-listed in 2000 preventing the demolition. A preservation trust was established in 2001 Theatre Royal Onward and they continue to fight for the preservation of the building. Most recently the building was reported to have been sold to The Islamic Resource Centre in November 2016.

Our visit

This was quite an unusual explore given the location of the building being attached to a live theatre. Co-incidentally the theatre next door had a performance on when we were exploring and the noise of the laughter and participation from the building next door echoed through the empty auditorium as we photographed it. It was strange and surreal having a distant muffled soundtrack of the building going on in the background but for me, it really made the explore all the more interesting. First stop was the projector room… Wow! probably one of the best and most well preserved I have seen. 2 large Kalee Projectors and another even bigger projector behind it, plenty of film reels and a cool little record player. The auditorium itself was cosy and had 2 balconies decorated with plasterwork. The stage still had its golden curtains hanging above it covered in dust, all in all, an awesome Cinema explore, enjoy the photos:

TR-1.jpg

TR-2.jpg

TR-3.jpg

TR-4.jpg

TR-5.jpg

TR-6.jpg

TR-7.jpg

TR-8.jpg

TR-9.jpg

TR-10.jpg

TR-11.jpg

TR-12.jpg

TR-13.jpg

TR-14.jpg

TR-15.jpg

TR-16.jpg

TR-17.jpg

TR-18.jpg

TR-19.jpg

Higher res copies and a couple more photos on my website: https://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2016/12/17/urbex-theatre-royal-hyde-manchester-march-2016/

screenone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice. That's one hell of a rake on those projectors. Have used all that photographed projection equipment when I used to be in the business, nice happy memories

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
did you get into the dressing rooms at the side of the stage there was another projection room with another westar and tower that was royal 2 cinema with the screen on the side wall of the stage my mate Arthur wilde was projectionist and then caretaker there till he died for over 40 years I showed a few films on those kale projectors

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice. That's one hell of a rake on those projectors. Have used all that photographed projection equipment when I used to be in the business, nice happy memories

Definitely some of the best condition ones I've had the pleasure of shooting :) Built to last thats for sure :)

did you get into the dressing rooms at the side of the stage there was another projection room with another westar and tower that was royal 2 cinema with the screen on the side wall of the stage my mate Arthur wilde was projectionist and then caretaker there till he died for over 40 years I showed a few films on those kale projectors

I didnt :( saw what looked to be the remains of the second screen but the floor had been partially removed and looked a little unsteady so I didnt venture much further than the curtain on that side of the building!

Superb photos, nice one! :thumb

Cheers :)

Absolutely bloody stunning! Good Job Mate!

Ta man :D

love this place.

Great pics too

Cheers

Its a belter :)

explorer1019

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi
Just wondering if this place is still accessible?
Any info about the place would be a great help as I am going to go today.

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning to see those projectors i have a feeling they would probably fire up with a little bit of tinkering here and there Fantastic find

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning to see those projectors i have a feeling they would probably fire up with a little bit of tinkering here and there Fantastic find
they would mate my mate was projectionist there for 40 years and the westar on the left failed before the cinema closed down and they wouldn't have it repaired so they used one of the yellow kalee projectors from the tower and it worked perfectly