real time web analytics
Report - - Thistleton Ironstone Mine - Sept 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thistleton Ironstone Mine - Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rustynail

it's dark in here innit?
28DL Full Member
I've used the forum search facility and can't find a report on this one so maybe I'm the first to post one? I researched this one from books and one of my partners in crime did a recce last weekend.

this.jpg

The adit in the pics was opened in 1957 by Stewarts & Lloyds Minerals Ltd. and connected into earlier workings, of which the old adit was then used for ventilation. The 1957 adit was very modern and used 22ft dia. concrete segment lining for 1600ft to the actual mine workings. The adit contained twin tracks of 2ft 8 1/2 in. gauge, running electric locomotives that drew current from an overhead wire. The mine closed in 1964 and the adit was bricked up in 1966. The earlier adit is completely filled and undetectable now.

Deep in the woods, where nobody goes...
RTB010s.jpg

Inside.
RTB001s.jpg

RTB002s.jpg

RTB006s.jpg

RTB009s.jpg

We got about 900ft in and the gas analyser alarm started going off due to low oxygen levels. We also got quite breathless so we turned back without having got to any of the actual mineworkings. :mad:

Last edited:

Deep Down Dave

28DL Member
28DL Member
If you look on Google Earth and scroll back a couple of years on the timeline function, it would appear that you can see the mine workings as discolours on the surface. Even more interesting is that they appear to go under they runway at RAF Cottesmore.

Attachments

• Thistleton.jpg
    Thistleton.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 57

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
If you look on Google Earth and scroll back a couple of years on the timeline function, it would appear that you can see the mine workings as discolours on the surface. Even more interesting is that they appear to go under they runway at RAF Cottesmore.
Hello sorry to tell you rusty nail passed away a few years ago .

Bando Exploration

Ins unbekannte wagen
28DL Full Member
@WurbanM

Think before you type mate, Im sure you think you were trying to be funny but its not a joking matter, please do NOT do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Do you read other peoples posts wurbanm or just look at the pictures in the first post?
What you commented is quite disrespectful especially after just being told the op passed away.
Give your head a wobble mate.

Down and beyond

Regular User
I think this old boy is going to get it when he gets online I hope he has a good reason for being a point blank idiot

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Must have been so frustrating having to turn back, there must be an awful lot to see in there as iron mines are often huge.

Down and beyond

Regular User
It was under a live working quarry when he went had balls of steel I wouldn’t want to be underground with them blasting above you !