real time web analytics
Report - - Thornley School near Longridge, Ribble Valley. April 2014. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thornley School near Longridge, Ribble Valley. April 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Simon Kay

28DL Member
28DL Member
Greetings people!

Welcome to my first post on this (or any other) site. I have been into exploring such places most of my life but only recently discovered that there are a lot more folk out there who enjoy similar adventures.

I spotted this place whilst travelling around the Ribble Valley in the course of my work and decided that whilst it is a small site, it would still be worth investigating. I returned on a day off with my trusty exploration companion (Murp) and we had a look around. Unfortunately the place has been pretty well stripped by the scrap metal jackals but hopefully you will still find it interesting.

I found a little of the building's history on the interweb and have included it below.

Beginning

Thornley School opened in 1880 having been built by local workmen using local stone and records show the gritstone cornerstones were from the Tootle Heights quarry on Longridge fell. The roof slates came from further afield.
There is an old Limestone quarry to rear of Thornley School . Documents and photographs available from the Chipping History Society show the successful story of the working Stone Lime Quarry and Limestone Kiln. The Lime stone Kiln and pits at Arbour farm are now a fossil rich site recognised as a “Site of special scientific Interest” (SSSI).

Ending

On closing in 1978 the old Thornley school building alongside the Memorial Hall (built within the grounds) were used for a period of time by the community. The most remembered social activities includes the Thornley women’s institute, the whist and Dominoes nights and family / children’s parties.

Oldschool1900_zps3e2cf75a.jpg

Old school (C1900)

TS001_zps67e0b57f.jpg

DSCF0801_zps8754f923.jpg

DSCF0824_zpsba6bbda7.jpg

My faithful exploring companion checking out the ?staff room.

DSCF0804_zps5e614ca0.jpg

Anyone for a brew?

DSCF0821_zps2086d997.jpg

? Staff room.

DSCF0805_zpse5f32db7.jpg

Looking from ? staff room into main classroom,

DSCF0820_zpsbb2686c8.jpg

Main entrance/vestibule.

DSCF0810_zpse3e883e1.jpg

Main classroom.

DSCF0809_zps49b7b792.jpg

Main classroom.

I hope you enjoyed this post as much as Murp and I enjoyed the trip.
Thanks for looking. :-)

Last edited: